Why does the rarest problem get the most attention?

If you have a book that says gluttony is a sin and homosexuality is a sin, and there are thousands, even millions, of people engaging in gluttony for every one person engaging in homosexuality, why aren't more people protesting at McDonald's and KFC instead of protesting at gay pride rallies? Why aren't they starting support groups to help parents of fat kids overcome their sin while also offering family counseling to help entire fat families find Jesus?

If people are REALLY interested in helping as many people as possible find Jesus and live a life free of sin, wouldn't it make more sense to go after the big groups of sinners instead of singling out the few individuals who partake in a far less common sin? It's not even just gluttony, avarice and greed - check out how many flat screens were sold last year compared to how many people identify as gay. Where's their re-education camp to make them "normal" and frugal?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 6:43 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• clapping

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:44 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• :D love it! totally agree!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 6:44 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• good

milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 6:46 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• NotPanicking, you rock my world. I can't wait to see some of the answers to this one, especially considering how often we're told that no sin is worse than another...
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 6:48 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Following Jesus doesn't mean living a life free of sin or helping anyone else live a life free of sin.....following Jesus means being forgiven, and loving and being loved......I don't think one issue has to do with the other, and how frequent a sin is committed by others shouldn't be my concern....people who are picketing other people's sins are not following Jesus, nor helping anyone else to follow Jesus either, no matter what sin they are committing.....I'm NOT saying there is never a reason to picket, just that one pickets to change laws, not people's hearts (only God can do that anyway).
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 6:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Bravo!
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 6:54 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Great question!!!!!

Answer by older at 6:54 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Great question! I agree, so I don't have much more to say than that. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 6:56 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• idk, but I bet someone from the opposite camp(those not referred to in the?) can quickly assume an answer. I can't, because I'm not the perfect xtian we're expected to be. I've personally never protested another's action/lifestyle. You'll never find any two that agree 100% , no matter their convenient stance, for or against any 'sin'....or bad dietary habit. Perfection is in the eye of the judger.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:04 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• As a PP said, people picket to change laws, not hearts. The Bible does not present all sins as being equal. Jesus talks about people committing one sin and being in danger of judgment, then He talks about people committing another sin and being in danger of hell fire. Paul wrote about homosexual relations and said that people who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

People sometimes try to say that Jesus Himself never mentioned homosexuality. That is because He was addressing a Jewish audience who did not tolerate that within their borders. Paul, in the other hand, was speaking to the nations where homosexual relations were common.

The Bible is very clear that homosexual relations are a sin in a category of its own. I know this is offensive to many people. Those of us who accept the Bible as God's word are not against individuals, but we cannot disagree with Scripture.
    Anonymous