Do you think people who are late for events, meetings, parties, etc, are only trying to get attention?

There are some people in life that that we invite over for different occasions and they are always late! It could be anywhere from 1/2 hour to even 1 and 1/2 hours. We have just learned to give them a different time so they will show up on our time. What do you think? Do you think people like this are seeking attention?

michelle146

Asked by michelle146 at 6:52 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Entertainment

• No. Some people are just always late.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 6:52 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• They think that their lives and time is more important than anyone elses. My SIL is like this. You tell her be here by noon,she'll come strolling in at 3!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• No, I just think they are obnoxious and thoughtless.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:54 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• My sister is like this and I do not think she is seeking attention. She honestly just can not seem to get herself together. She was late almost every day our senior year of high school. She just has no concept of time. She was over an hour late for her baby shower. We finally had to tell her it wasn't a Tupperware party, it was her baby shower and to get there! I have no idea why she is like this, but she's been this way all her life.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:54 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I think it makes me look disorganized if I show up late.So I am almost always on time.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 6:55 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• i'm always late for everything and i hate the attention. so no.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 6:56 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Nope. I'm often late, not by an hour, but by up to 15 minutes. I don't do it for attention. I hate when it draws attention to me. When I'm late, it's because I didn't give myself enough time to get there or I was busy doing other things instead of leaving when I should have. It's a bad habit I have and I am a little ashamed of it because it's not fair to others who may have to wait for me. But I do know people who do it for attention. I had 2 roommates in college who would make their dates wait at least an hour for them. They were ready to go, but they would just sit in their room and make the guys wait. I never really understood it.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 6:59 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• No, I don't think they are trying to get attention. They are usually people who are not well organized, and they don't allow enough time to get ready and get to where they are supposed to be. They are always behind with everything, because they don't start soon enough, and one thing leads to another thing--sort of like a train wreck. Also, it may be in the gene pool. My hubby tends to always be late, and all three of my children are more like him than they are like me. I like to always be 5 or 10 minutes early to wherever I am going, and I always allow extra time for travel. Not so with the rest of my dear family, and not a one of them is trying to get anyone's attention.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:01 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I just think it's inconsiderate. Basically, you're saying to someone, "I don't care when something begins, how much work was put into it's preparation, what you've worked for, planned for, and prepared for, I'll show up on MY time frame." I think it's a MAJOR sign of selfishness and just plain rude. I always try to be at least 10 minutes early for stuff. Church, showers, weddings, family get-to-gethers, anything. If I'm early, I'll just pitch in and help or wait in my car with the family. I'd always rather be early than late.
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 7:18 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I think I may have to agree with you Timannd mel4ever...I can see maybe being late on rare occasions but for someone to make this a habit is disrespectful to the person or persons holding the event.
    michelle146

Comment by michelle146 (original poster) at 7:55 PM on Jul. 12, 2010