How did your youngest act when his big brother or sister started school?

Our oldest will be starting kindergarten this fall. He is five and his brother is three. They are peas and carrots! I'm not sure how this will effect the younger brother. How did yours react and what did you do to handle their emotions about their older sibling being away?

randerykah

Asked by randerykah at 6:54 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• DD was excited! We made a big deal out of her spending time with me. The first day, after dropping DS off at school, DD and I went for her favorite breakfast, then the park and the library. I planned several things to do during the day for the first several weeks, that way she had something to look forward to. Then she discovered that she didn't have to share tv time or mommy and started to really enjoy being at home without her brother.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 9:10 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• my sone was 5 and she was 3 the same well at first she cried every morning for 2 weeks than she didnt even want him to come home because she got mommy to herself!!!!
    jennette0704

Answer by jennette0704 at 6:57 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• My boys are 2 years apart, and my younger one used to cry when I was taking the older one to preschool--because he wanted to go to! :o) Now they're going into 1st and 3rd grade, and they still love taking the bus! Hopefully I can ride this wave all the way through high school! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:58 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• My youngest wasn't born when his brother went to kinder. Their sister was okay with him going. She was at preschool anyway. The year she started 1st grade my youngest was 6 months and LOVED going into the school with the big kids. This year he is excited because he can go to school just like them.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:00 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• When our oldest started kindergarten we started preschool homeschool with our youngest. She got her own back to school stuff (workbooks, pencils, etc) and we signed up for preschool story hour at the library so she got some social time.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:10 PM on Jul. 13, 2010