Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

landlord issues!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok so I have been renting this apartment for 6 years with my so problem is we call him to get a bee hives nest out of our window 2 days ago. my daughter has asthma so if the bees get into the house it could be terrible. we constantly call him to do things like a leaky roof in our bathroom and some of the windows have cracks in them, we have to cut the grass and he is not suppling the gas to put into the lawnmower. everyone keeps telling me to move butI can not afford tomove right now. so what else can I do?


Asked by Anonymous at 6:59 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Home & Garden

This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • call your city housing inspector. have them come do an inspection. He'll have a short window of time to make the repairs or else he gets heavily fined

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:05 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

  • You need to read your lease. I can't answer any questions without knowing what state you are in. But, if you have a yard, it's likely you are required to care for it, which means buying gas for the mower.

    Also, many leases state that tenants are required to pay any repairs up to a certain dollar amount. I'm afraid the bee nest removal would fall under that, since it's free.

    The only possible issue I see with your list of complaints is the leaky bathroom roof. IF it's not repaired yet, you need to present him with a written complaint, and then if he doesn't fix it, have someone repair it and pay them out of next months rent.

    Answer by lovinangels at 7:05 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

  • good luck just went through that with racoons living in the air ducts tearing them up we moved into his mothers god help us until we can get another house but i called the local constable and he told me about a new law where the landlord must fix these things or you can get a judgement against him and he will have to pay you so much money ill find the papers and message you with the code for it

    Answer by jennette0704 at 7:04 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

  • there is something were you can go through the courts and if he isn't doing what he is supposed to you can put the rent money in escro i think it's called. Anyway pretty much what it is, is you pay the court your rent money and they hold it until he fixes everything he is supposed to and then he will get his money. But he can't evict you for not paying him this way

    Answer by jen699 at 7:22 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

  • Contact the local Renters' Rights office

    Answer by rkoloms at 8:09 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

  • Re read your lease... What EXACTLY does it say that YOU are responsible for?
    If lawn care is in it, then don't complain ... it's in your lease and your landlord is NOT responsible to buy the gas...
    Now for the beehive, this is where it can be tricky... you can write to your landlord your complaint... keep a copy and document all the phone calls that you make, now you NEED to get a Landlord/Tenant guide book from your local either city hall or housing center and read what your rights are ... bc in most cases if work/complaints etc.. go unattended by the land-owner you can legally with hold your rent in an escrow account until the complaints/work is done...


    Answer by gmasboy at 9:47 PM on Jul. 12, 2010