If your child throws a tantrum while you're out and about, what do you do to get the situation under control and why?

JackieSuzanne

Asked by JackieSuzanne at 7:06 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• talk softly to him and try to calm him. Sometimes I just ignored it. He nneded to know that he wasn't going to dictate what went on when we went shopping.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:07 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• honestly i want to pick her up and run out but i slowly lean in quietly whisper so she has to stop screaming to hear me and tell her if she does not stop we are going into the bathroom or out to the car till she stops and she will be sorry when dad hears about it!!!! i use dad for everything i cant handle or if i want it to stop right then
    jennette0704

Answer by jennette0704 at 7:10 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• take him/her out of the environment...you are in control...if you cannot leave then just go outside until the child calms down....each child will have a meltdown..sometimes leaving is best....and coming back later...if it happens at home...allow the child to pitch that fit and you get down on the floor with them and pitch one too...pretty soon, someone is going to start laughing....say, "let me see you pitch a fit" then pitch one right along with him/her....then, have a long talk why ya looked so silly...but remember...having meltdowns is normal....and always talk it out and talk about what is right and wrong....take away privileges... good luck
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 7:11 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I usually try to ignore it. If it gets too bad, I will just leave the store and go home and put him in his room and tell him that he is obviously tired and he needs to go to sleep. I then make him lay down in his room.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:12 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I only had to do this once when my oldest was little he had a tantrum and we left the store. He never acted up again!
    TJones32

Answer by TJones32 at 7:19 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• what i did was hold up my hand and ask them " see this, ya wanna feel it" that usually shut them up because they know i would spank them infront of God , police or anybody. i believe in apply a few well placed swats on a fussy bottom
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 7:26 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Most of the time when a child throws a tantrum they know that eventually they will either get a rise out of you or they will get what they want. Depending on the reason for the tantrum, the child may need to be punished on the spot. If you are at a store and you tell your child they can't have something and they fall out on the floor, you speak firmly to them explaining why they can't have what they are asking for and then tell them if they do not get up, they will be disciplined. Time out's can be anywhere. Time out chunks of time should be no more than 15 minutes depending on the age of the child. The key is to be calm but firm and when you tell your child what the reprecussions will be if they do not do what you are asking them to, is to follow through with it. This lets your child know you are in charge..not them.
    lawmom27

Answer by lawmom27 at 7:29 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I agree with Safirejewel...

We would abandon our shopping carts, and go home. I was never about to "negotiate" with my children when they were at that 2-5 year old manipulative age. Now that they are older, I can reason with them and our shopping trips are much more enjoyable. But, we're still conscientious of picking our battles--and don't force them to endure shopping trips for TOO long, or when they're tired, not interested or when it's close to bed time! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:29 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• It only happened once to me and I picked him up and left the store. I couldn't deal with it. Luckily it was only once.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I always keep lollipops in my diaper bag. Try to find what makes your child happy and forget about tantrums. If that doesnt work than i rush to checkout.
    chuggysmommy08

Answer by chuggysmommy08 at 8:57 PM on Jul. 12, 2010