Whats the point?

What do you hope to accomplish when you use fear tactics with nonbelievers? Do you hope by telling others they will "burn" or suffer, or whatever else you say, that they will suddenly say, "wow that is something I want to be a part of. "

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 7:25 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• NO CLUE!
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• lol. No, I can't see that happening. I don't do this and don't agree with anyone trying to bully anyone else into any religion. (or non-religion, whichever the case may be.) But I think the ones who DO use these tactics are just telling you what they believe to be true.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 7:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• You know...people keep saying that they hear this (and I will admit to only coming back in here in the last few weeks) But I haven't seen anyone say this! I would like to see an example and know if it's REALLY that prevalent. I just dont see MOST Christians acting that way and saying those things. The God I was raised with was loving and kind and forgiving. But then I also dont believe any ONE religion has it 100% correct....even those that believe in NO God ;)

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 7:29 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• "But I think the ones who DO use these tactics are just telling you what they believe to be true. "

Wouldn't they get further by talking of their beliefs in the positive sense? The love and joy of their "God", the grace and peacefullness of it? Why don't people use these words when trying to get non believers to hear their beliefs?
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 7:29 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• But I think the ones who DO use these tactics are just telling you what they believe to be true

I have to disagree with you here. I mean sure that may be the case in some instances but the manner in which a person Shares those beliefs certainly says alot more as to their intentions.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:30 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Honestly, I don't understand why people say things like that. I do believe in God with my whole heart but I would never treat someone else who didn't any less or try to scare them. If anything I just pray for the believers who act in such a horrible way because they know better and they know how they should treat all man kind, whether or not they believe in the same things or not. I am truly sorry someone has treated you that way....you would never hear me say anything like that, and I'm a christian. :)
    BrandyBaby22

Answer by BrandyBaby22 at 7:30 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I think that when they see their fear tactics failing, they become even more frantic.  I find it rather amusing.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:42 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• You know...people keep saying that they hear this (and I will admit to only coming back in here in the last few weeks) But I haven't seen anyone say this! I would like to see an example and know if it's REALLY that prevalent. - momof030404
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The church I went to as a child actively taught this - repent (be saved) or burn in hell for eternity. I've heard many variations of it on CM. Even as a child, I thought it was a manipulative thing to do to someone. I always wondered why, if God is so loving and great, does He need to use fear tactics to get people to follow Him?
    FrogSalad

Answer by FrogSalad at 7:43 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

I absolutely agree with you! And when I do talk with anyone about my beliefs, this is my approach. I'm not saying it's right for them to say things like that, just giving you the only reason I can think of for them to say that.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 7:46 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

********************
    I grew up in those churches too...at the age of 5 ish they push being saved so you don't go to the fiery pits of hell if you die in the night...
    I "get" why they do it, I just don't understand how they REALLY think that trying to scare ADULTS will work -
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:48 PM on Jul. 12, 2010