If you punish your child with a "time out" do you put them in a "time out square" or corner or do you put them in their room?

JackieSuzanne

Asked by JackieSuzanne at 7:26 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• she goes and sits on the stairs. theres absolutely nothing to do, or look at on the stairs.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 7:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• They go to their room. I have heard not to do this that it makes their room carry bad feelings, but our house is small and the others kids will try to play with them etc.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 7:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• she stands in the corner where i can see her. if i put her in her room she will just find something to play with.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I wouldn't put them in their room because that isn't a punishment I would use a chair or what we use to call the naughty spot and my son would go sit there the amount of time of his age. It worked great!!
    TJones32

Answer by TJones32 at 7:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Best to put them in a spot with no other distractions. If I sent my kids to their room (when teens) it was clear that they were to be on the bed thinking until I came in and not touch anything in the room.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• They go in a corner, so they have nothing to do but stand there facing the corner.

Answer by louise2 at 7:29 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• They sit on the bench in the hallway.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:30 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I have a bench in the hallway that says TIME OUT. My daughter sits there. If we are at someone elses house she goes in the corner. Timeout needs to be a place he/she knows she can go to no matter where you are. I tried the room thing when she was 2 and when I went to put her in timeout at someone elses home she told me she couldn't because her room wasn't there. Smart kid, so I got smarter and started putting her in corners. There is a corner no matter where you go.
    StevensWife

Answer by StevensWife at 7:34 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• We had a "sad chair".

It is not a good idea to use a child's room for timeout; a bedroom should not be a prison.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:56 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Depends.  When they were toddlers they went to their rooms until they wanted to calm down and behave.  As they got older they moved to the corner.  Once the turned 5 not only do they have to stand in the corner but they must be touching the wall with their nose and toes and keep their hands at their side the whole time.

They also get grounded to their rooms.  At first they are allowed to play with their toys in there.  If they keep misbhaving they are grounded to their beds but can read or play with their stuffed animals.  For each infraction they lose more and more stuff.  They don't have many toys in their room so they hate being grounded...there are no TVs or games in their rooms.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:13 AM on Jul. 13, 2010