In your opinion, what is the most effective way to potty train and why?

JackieSuzanne

Asked by JackieSuzanne at 7:29 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• There are a lot of effective methods out there. It is impossible to say just one is the best. Key to me is that the child is truly ready. It doesn't take long if the child is ready.
    Anonymous

• I have a 2yr old and i put him in underwear, and i can usually tell if he has to pee so i say RUN TO THE BATHROOM HURRY and he thinks of it as a game and goes pee and i jump up and down. so he does great like that!! and i ask him about every 15-30 mins if he needs to go. i think it works cuz its a constant thing, if you keep up with it your kiddo will be going on there own in no time
    Shan_miller87

Answer by Shan_miller87 at 7:31 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• reward system. my daughter got 1 m&m for pee, 2 for poops..she was fully trained in 3 days. my sis did the same with her son and daughter and worked great as well
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 7:31 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I think the most effective way is to show them the potty, tell them what it is for. Then I put him in big kid underwear.
    when you see they are wet, show them the potty. I find this effective as the kids do not like feeling the wetness.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:32 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Let the kid lead. I bought a potty just after my son turned 2 and told him what it was for. We talked about it once in a while until one day I was changing his diaper and he announced that he was going to use the potty that day. He never looked back. He also told me when he was ready to start using a big toilet about a month later, when he was ready to quit nighttime diapers a couple of months after that, and a few days ago he announced that he was going to start peeing standing up. I've been trying to talk him in to that for ages, his preschool teacher was always whining about him sitting to pee, but I guess he wanted to wait until he was done with school before he learned. Now I'm hoping to bump in to his old preschool teacher just so I can tell her!
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 7:55 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Waiting until they are ready.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 9:16 PM on Jul. 12, 2010