Do you see your children questioning your authority as a bad thing?

I want my children to grow up not being blind followers. I don't tell them to do things without explaining why or tell them because I said so. I want them to learn to question everything. How else will they be prepared to make their own decisions when other kids are pressuring them to have sex or do drugs?

jamesonjustines

Asked by jamesonjustines at 7:30 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son can question me at anytime, but it will be done with respect. I want him to think for himself and make his own decisions but he still has to be respectful.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:06 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I have no problem with the questioning, but I do have a problem with rudeness and ignoring.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 7:36 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I agree, but they should question with respect (older child) and not be allowed to manipulate you. In the end you are the parent and have the final say.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:33 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I don't see anything wrong with asking questions but when a parent tells them to do something or not do something it is because they are in charge and know what is best.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:39 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• The defining line here is when the child does what you ask. As a parent it's your responsibility to guide your children. I agree that they should not be yes ma'am drones, nor should they demand a reason every time we ask them to do something. Rule at our house: If a child has a serious objection to something we've asked them to do they have a right to ask us about it; however, if they just want to know why, they have to do what we asked them to do and they can ask us later what our reasoning was. It's important for kids to understand why we want them to do something or not do something otherwise they will be more likely to do it behind our backs. Open and honest communication in a timely matter makes this go the smoothest.
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 7:48 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I have no issues with them questioning me, in fact I expect it. No authority should be absolute and without question, that includes my own.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:48 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I think it depends on HOW they question it and why. They need to be respectful and they need to have a reason..... some kids question just to be rude and defiant.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:40 AM on Jul. 13, 2010