Have you ever taken a parenting course or researched any specific parenting methods on your own?

My husband and I took a six week long Love and Logic Parenting course and have watched the videos and read the literature for 1-2-3 Magic. Was wondering if other parents have done similar.

jamesonjustines

Asked by jamesonjustines at 7:34 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• I haven't done parenting courses. But a lot of my collge courses were early childhood, special eduation, rehabilitation, and psychology courses. Some of what I learned and did when I worked can be applied to parenting. Part of what I did for years was teach parents of special needs children, as well as children, how to live with basic life skills, learning skills, social skills, consistency, schedules, reward systems.... But my hubby and I would love to take any kind of parenting class to make us better parents to our kids!!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 7:54 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I am a huge fan of Naomi Aldort, and Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves. http://www.naomialdort.com/

Answer by rkoloms at 8:07 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• We did Love and Logic when our oldest was a toddler. I would love to do a refresher course, but can't seem to find one around here.
    I think it was really valuable for us.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:36 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Did not take a parenting course, but have read a lot of books and took child devlopment courses in college.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:38 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Nope--I learned a lot of stuff in my developmental psychology, educational psychology, child psychology, adolescent psychology, abnormal psychology and my psychology of gender course I took for my education degree, I really didn't think I could take anymore!! LOL. I have also had similar courses for my job trainings.

BTW, I love 1-2-3 Magic. I had a training for that for my one job. I use it all the time and I used to give my parents the literature when I was working in Behavioral Health and Rehabilitation Services.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:39 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I have done a lot of research on the effects of spanking. I have also done research on what is considered normal behavior for my child at whatever particular age she is at. It's important to be informed...so many of the issues we parents have with our children are the result of a lack of education.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:01 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I work in early childhood, i do training and professional development for child care providers so i use a lot of the same techniques i teach.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 8:44 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I read books all the time, but have never taken a course. I don't follow any one parenting style, but rather do what feels right for our family and I like reading the books to get an idea of different things to try if something isn't working.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:02 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• No, never thought of doing that.

Answer by louise2 at 7:35 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Why? I go with my instinct and if that doesn't work then I try something else. I don't want others telling what is best for my child when I don't always know what is best for her. Parenting in my opinion is trial and error.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:37 PM on Jul. 12, 2010