Would you put your kids in camps all summer or take a family vacation?

We put our kids daycamps for most of the weeks throughout the summer in lieu of a family vacation. While we need to all recharge I get my downtime while they are at camp during the day all summer while a week comes and goes in well a week.

jamesonjustines

Asked by jamesonjustines at 7:38 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in

• We all took a yearly vacation together and did not put our kids in summer camps, 1. They would have killed us, 2. Grandpa went with us every year, 3. We always took a vacation to Canada for fishing all week!!! We also got to go to the dump and see the bears!!! One year we stayed in Minnesota and went to a place where this elderly man had been feeding bears for years and it got to the point that Brownie would lay down in the hammock with the Man. He would also put a carrot in his mouth and Brownie would eat half of it from his mouth!!! So we got to get out and stand around the bears and when they came up to you all you had to do was hold your hands up so they knew you had nothing to feed them. One got so close to my husband it rubbed up against his legs!! Those were great trips and memories!!!
    jesussaves58

Answer by jesussaves58 at 10:02 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I would do some of each. Family vacations are wonderful bonding experiences.
    Anonymous

• family vacation all the way! Kids need time to just be and to recharge.
    I highly recomend the books "Last Child in the Woods" by Richard Louv and "Living Simply with Children" by Marie Sherlock
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 7:43 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I know Last Child in the Woods well....all of their camps are outdoors with one performing arts exception. I still think the week comes and goes but they enjoy all summer with new experiences.
    jamesonjustines

Comment by jamesonjustines (original poster) at 8:22 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• family vacation.
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 9:59 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• We normally do take a vacation. We do take 3 day weekends at indoor waterparks and stuff a couple times a year in the winter though and are pretty active on the weekends at outdoor fairs and open air museums and stuff though. I think we do spend a lot of quality time together, things were just tough this year and we had to choose. My son also is gifted and has ADHD and has to be stimulated all the time so camps are a good way to keep his body and mind busy.
    jamesonjustines

Comment by jamesonjustines (original poster) at 10:29 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• family vacation
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 11:33 PM on Jul. 12, 2010