Is there anything the Dr. can prescribe for anxiety?

I am not depressed or anything like that. I am just so stress lately and stress over the little things but I can't help it. I workout and try to relieve stress the best I can but it is hard to do some days.

reesemom

Asked by reesemom at 7:47 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Health

• xanax but it is very addictive.

Answer by older at 7:49 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Yes they can but I suggest quiet minds. It is a multi vitamin that helped me thru my very rough pregnancy, depression and anxiety. It seems expensive but when you break it down by pill its much less expensive than prescription drugs and much safer too.
    quietminds.net
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 7:50 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Xanax, but it's very very addictive, in fact it landed my DH in rehab. I would say check out natural alternatives first. My gram has just started taking a "natural alt" to Xanax for her anxiety issues and she loves it... I'll have to check and see if I have the name of it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:50 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• yes there are a few things you can try
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 7:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• make sure you press .net because if I remember correctly .com was a pot smokers site...and I am not leading you to that lol
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 7:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Absolutely. I have (or had) anxiety ever since my son was born. I tried controlling it myself, but I couldn't. I finally gave in and talked to the doctor about it. I'm on a low dosage of Celexa, and it works great. I don't feel any different, except that I don't worry or stress like I used to. I still do some, but at a healthy level. I wouldn't recommend Xanax because it's addictive, and it sedates you. My doctor said that she would never prescribe it to someone my age unless they really needed it, because it's so hard to stop taking. There are different options...talk to your doctor.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• do you have to take xanan everyday? I really would just like to take something when I need it. I don't want to get addicted but it coming to the point to where my anxiety is interfearing with my life.
    reesemom

Comment by reesemom (original poster) at 7:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I'm bumping this because I need an answer also, and xanax is not a good idea. By addictive, it means that it is extremely difficult to quit taking and it changes your body chemistry in an unhealthy way. There is ativan, I have tried that and it caused me to feel dizzy and nauseous and it really didn't calm me down from my thoughts.

LauraMi261

Answer by LauraMi261 at 7:57 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• If it's interfering with your life, you need to talk to your doctor. You CAN take Xanax every day, but it makes you so tired, and so foggy. There are single dose forms, and then there are time-released. It is VERY addictive, though, and I wouldn't recommend it. Something like what I'm taking doesn't make you feel like that. It just prevents you from getting so stressed in the first place.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:00 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Yes! Talk to your Dr or go to a psyciatrist.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:03 PM on Jul. 12, 2010