has anyone ever dealt with a sun allergy with their kids?

My 4 yr old daughter breaks out in a rash when she's out in the sun. Little bumps show up on her face around her nose and under her eyes, along her forehead and cheeks. I've asked the doctor and she says its just an allergic reaction to something she comes in contact with. But I dont think so because it happens anytime she's in the sun and anywhere, even in the car if she's prolonged to it. I use sunblock SPF 70 and it doesnt help. I dont know what else to do. She looks so pitiful and I hate it. Sometimes its on the top of her head and itches. Any advice?

ginnylyn

Asked by ginnylyn at 7:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I"ve been allergic to the sun. My best answer is to keep her covered, not just sunblock, but long sleeves/ hat, etc. It's a very itchy rash and I have to take benedryl if I get it.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:54 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Exactly, long sleeves, long pants and a big brimmed hat whenever she is outside. Sun allergies can be dangerous in small children. Things can begin to swell very quickly. Look and see if you can find "Under Armour" for kids. It is a very close fitting top and pant made for winter warmth..but because it wicks moisture away from the skin travelers have found it works great in the heat as well.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:05 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Take her to a dermatolgist and have her evaluated. A true sun allergy can be a very serious thing and you want to make sure exactly what her allergy is, too.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2010