Do you worry about how a name will "age "?

There are alot of names (particular boys names) that are realy 'cute' on a 3 year old....but sound way too babyish on say, a 40 year old man. I could name some but dont' want to mad anyone mad! lol But do you worry about that when considering a name?

minimo77

Asked by minimo77 at 8:04 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Baby Names

• No I just named my kids what I wanted
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 8:06 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Yes, we did. Our sons first name is Jacob, middle name is Wyatt. They are both able to be professional names, and we chose to call him Wyatt. He will be able to pick which one he goes by later in life. That will be how we name all of our children. With strong first, and middle names.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 8:06 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I didn't think about it. But then again, 2 of my 3 kids' names aren't popular or cute names - Talya and Rami. They can always go by Tal and Rahm when they are older if they think their name isn't too young for them. My other kid is Sam; if anything, it is a bit old for a kid. Maybe that's why he is such a worry wart.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Brooke.. i don't think it sounds bad as an older ladies name :)
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• i do consider that when choosing names. or really out there names, what if they choose a very professional career and they have a crazy name? lol
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Yes, I always liked names that you could shorten when they are little, but have a full "grown-up" version for when they get older if they choose. DD is Annabel but we call her Bella for short. My brother is Jonathan - Jon for short; and sister is Abigail - Abby for short.
    Personal preference I guess, but I would be sad if my kid hated their name as they got older.
    NHRachel

Answer by NHRachel at 8:09 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• That was something we thought about in naming our boys! Which is why we went with traditional names and traditional spellings.

My husband and I also wanted for our sons to have names that sounded "good" both in the formal sense and the "nickname" sense. We always disliked the "cutesy" "y or ie" endings on grown men--like: "Bobby, Tommy, Robbie, Joey, Billy, Jimmy," etc. And often times once people called you that, you were stuck, even if you preferred the more grown up version of "Bob, Tom, Rob, Joe, Bill or Jim"

Our boys names are Nicholas and Brian.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:10 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Not nearly enough people consider this ... but really should. It really does matter!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 8:11 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I do. I wouldn't name some one by the shortened version of the name but by the full version and use the shortened version in conversation. Like if I were to call a kid of mine William, the legal name would be William and not Will, Willy, Bill, etc.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 8:11 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I can see worrying about that if you start picking really wierd names like all the movie stars are doing now a days. I don't think you'll have to worry about it if you pick a regular name.
    Jane615

Answer by Jane615 at 8:12 PM on Jul. 12, 2010