when can i start giving my baby baby food

?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:10 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started at 4 months, my pediatrician recommended it. ask the doctor.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 8:14 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• The reccomendation is now no earlier than 6 months. Before that they simply can not digest solids. in the first year ALL nutrition comes from breastmilk or formula and solids are only for fun and experimentation. You NEVER have to give the jarred "baby food" or cereal (they can't even digest it and rice cereal is constipating). You can instead start off with table food from the get go. Naturally soft foods like avocado, pear, sweet potato, butternut squash are easy to start with but there are few limits except for the obvious choking hazards and allergy trigger foods. Your baby should be able to sit up unassisted, have lost the tongue thrust reflex, can bring food to the mouth, and manipulate food with the tongue so they can swallow it. All of this indicates digestive maturity. If you give a baby a morsel of food and they spit it out, that is by design to keep solids out of the immature gut. If you have...
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:14 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• My son's doctor told me that I could introduce baby foods at 6 months, but only fruits and veggies, and to ease into it. You always want to give them, for example...a fruit, for almost a week, before giving them a different one. You want to make sure they don't have an allergy. Still, different people say different things. I would discuss it with your baby's pediatrician. My son loved it and had no problems starting at 6 months.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:15 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• ...to liquify food in order to feed it by spoon to bypass the gag reflex then the baby is not old enough. Most pediatricians know very little about nutrition or they do not keep up to date wih the newest studies and research. They just give the old standard advice that no longer applies. The advantage of letting a baby self feed is that they can learn their own limits, can have enjoyment in a meal, and there is no need to waste money or fuss. You can actually mealshare with the baby which is far more fun and relaxing for everyone. I've never given my baby purees. She's had everything from kiwi, to hummus, to guacamole, asparagus, fresh blueberries etc. Once she developed a really good pincer grip her digest also improved. I let her self feed or help with some messy foods if I don't want a huge mess, but always follow her lead. it's been really enjoyable.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:18 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Discuss it with your doctor. Some doctors recommend 6 months, some recommend 4 and I even know one doctor who said 1 year. Also, some recommend cereal and other recommend fruits and vegetables. Please do not let what others do dictate what you think you should do. Let your doctor and you make this decision together. No one knows your child like the two of you.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:19 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• It depends on the child and the doc. I know its no earlier than 4 monthss. Some pedis say 4, some say 6. Mine started my son at 4.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 8:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• totally agree layh41407
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 8:38 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• A doctor is NOT a dietitian, and that is all I will say.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:00 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I'm not talking out of my butt here. Look up the WHO reccommendations if you must. Look up the digestion studies.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:01 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• All of the current research says it is best to wait until at least 6 months. There is no benefit to starting earlier, so why not just wait?
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:58 PM on Jul. 12, 2010