Am I more at risk for preeclampsia with another pregnancy?

I got some disturbing news yesterday at the hospital. I went in for abdominal cramping and contractions, i'm only 14 weeks. Anyway, when I had my daughter I had preeclampsia and she was induced at 36.5 weeks. The nurse then told me that as long as I got pregnant by the same father, my chances of getting it again were lower. However, last night, the nurse went over my history and I had a bit of high bp going on and she told me the opposite, that because i'd had preeclampsia before then i'd have more of a chance to get it again. So, now i'm kinda scared, especially with the high bp and the cramping I had. They said they are going to closely monitor me for the bp and give me meds if needed. I guess I just need some wise words and reassurance that things are going to be ok, it's so early and all I want is for my baby to be ok and to make it as far to term as possible.

sofiesmama807

Asked by sofiesmama807 at 8:12 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My doctor told me that if I had Pre E with my son and the new baby had the same father then I was at an increased risk. I was diagnosed with high BP at my 12week appt and put on med to control it. They believe my Pre E will kick in before 36weeks since my pressures are already high and with my son it started at 37weeks and I had normal pressures up until then. My pregnancy is going good so far. I had minor bleeding due to low lying placenta and my pressures have been a little higher and I am goign to talk to my doc about upping my med dosage. If they are watching you closely they will catch it before it gets bad. Good Luck and I hope the cramping stops.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 8:19 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• omg, I hope that is not true I had that to and just found out i am going to be a mom again. my first time a live hello with no o.
    i know it is not a answer but please let me be there as a friend.
    knighthorn

Answer by knighthorn at 8:20 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I had devloped pre e when I was 32 weeks and was admitted in to the hosptail the after thanksgivng, I show no signs expect high blood pressure, swollen hands and feet and protien in the urie. I was in the hosptail for about week before having my once and once I was 34 weeks it just go worst and I had to have my son by c section. Whenver have another baby I wll be consider high risk and my changes of having pre e again is very high.

LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 8:22 PM on Jul. 12, 2010