Does anyone use a wireless router?

I hate mine. I think it slows my computer down but we have to have it cause DH does online gaming and it is connected to playstation. Is there a way to not use the router with my computer and just connect it to the modem?

reesemom

Asked by reesemom at 8:12 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• The reason yours is slow is because your DH is doing the gaming. It takes a lot for those games to run. You can disconnect it from the network but then you'd loose your net too.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 8:14 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• You can upgrade your router, too. We used to have a G, but now we have an N, and it made a world of difference!
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 8:15 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Yes. But we don't have any gaming systems--so it's a reliable system for us. it's just for being able to use our computers or laptops anywhere in the house. I like being on CafeMom while having my coffee in the morning on my deck, and when the kids are in the pool or playing in the backyard, I can hang out in the same fashion and watch them! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:18 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• The wireless router most likely isn't your problem, unless you have something interfering with your wireless signal. As SalemWitchChild said, it is the bandwidth your husband is using that is slowing your internet speed down. You can't connect directly to the modem without disconnecting the modem from the router. If you think you have wireless interference, you can connect your computer to the router with a cable; most, if not all, wireless routers also have several cat-5 ports. You may want to check into getting a higher-speed internet plan if you have cable or DSL.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 8:19 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• We like ours.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:22 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Hate mine. The company insist the router we have is capable of handling all of computing needs. Yet after 4 new boxes we still have problems with dropping signal.
    twilite2000

Answer by twilite2000 at 8:55 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• We are wireless, but don't have any gaming on it. I love it.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:03 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• we had one when we were staying at my moms and it was always slowing things down or freezing completely. If the kids were on the WII then you couldn't use her computer. and it was a fairly expensive one with password protection so no one could get on it
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 10:09 PM on Jul. 12, 2010