ADHD... IM ON MY LAST STRING HERE!!

I dont know what to do with my soon to be ds. He has become a wild child!! He was seen by a nuralogist about a year ago and i was told he was showing signs of ADHD but he was still to young to tell for sure.they gave him a sleep aid thinking he was just hyper from lack of sleep... Well it worked for a few months but now hes ten times worse! Its like he physically cant stop moving, like his brain is going at warp speed and his body is trying to catch up. I cant get him to listen to ANYTHING! Everything is a fight with him. People say "oh hes just being a little boy" NO! I cant even put him in school or daycare right now because hes uncontrolable! the ONLY thing he will sit still for is to play his VSmile games or playhousedisney.com. Which im okay with because they are all educational games. When is enough enough? When do you say he needs help?

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 8:20 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I so feel your pain. I was told for 5 yrs that my oldest was 'just a normal healthy, active boy" My son displayed all the behaviors you desciribed. I finally went to the Pediatrician and refused to leave until he referred me to the right place for help. The best part was my regular Ped wasn't in that day. I explained it all to his associate and the first thing out of his mouth was "of course that isn't normal behavior". For once I felt like I wasn't the one going crazy. We went to a Psychologist who specialized in ADHD. He did a battery of testing over a 6 weeek period. He then showed us where our son fell on the result chart VS 'normal" kids and ADHD kids. My son was off the charts in alll but one area. Keep asking for help until somone listens. In the meantime look up the Feingold Diet.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Get him to a therapist, they can work with your son and you. DS was diagnosed at 9 with ADHD and wish we had started sooner! Work with teachers they see what is going on all day and will be able to notice differences. Sounds like you son is young still but get him and yourself help!
    adakbride

Answer by adakbride at 8:29 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I also know exactly how you feel. My son is now 8 and we went through everything that you are going through. When my son got into Kindergarten his doctor finally recognized that he has ADHD and he finally got a therapist that specialized in it. For 2 years in school his teachers have been trying to figure out what is different about my son. For the most part he fits the ADHD symptoms but there are other symptoms that seemed "odd". Finally his guidance counselor figured it out (I absolutely love his school for everything that they've done for him.......and it's a public school!). I then took him back to his therapist and doctor and after lots of talking and some tests he was diagnosed with Asperger's......which is on the complete other side of the Autism spectrum. The Feingold Diet works wonders and also a book called The Kid Friendly ADHD & Autism Cookbook. Cutting certain foods out of their diet does help!
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 8:35 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Good luck and remember you're not alone :)
    colethky

• They have talked about Aspergers. But hes VERY social. He knows no fear of strangers. Hes not shy at all. And he plays great in large groups of kids that are his age or older. So they ruled that out. But he does alot of "odd" things... He is very smart. He has an upsestion with his cup. Anytimes he gets upset he HAS to have his cup! which is why potty training at night is a big flop. He has only been out of diapers for a short while now also. He didnt speak a single word other the "uh" till he was 2. And he tells u the same thing over and over and over... Ugh i just dont know what to do with him! and i dont know if i can last 6 weeks for testing! Hes out of control... And im a single mother of 3 kids under 4yrs old which makes his behaiver even more unexceptable! im worried he will hurt himself or my other 2 because he doesnt know when to quit!
    Keaton_Hazel

Comment by Keaton_Hazel (original poster) at 8:47 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• OP..go to his Dr..and tell them EXACTLY what you just wrote. It sounds like there is more than ADHD going on.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Go back to the therapist and get him re-evaluated. Therehas to be more to it.
    Chipmunk2771

Answer by Chipmunk2771 at 9:02 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• He has a new doctor now because we just moved so maybe a 2nd opinion will be nice. Thanks everyone. And if anyone has a child that does the same type of things going on, please let me know. I feel like im at a dead end here. You can email me at Keaton2_Hazel@yahoo.com
    Keaton_Hazel

Comment by Keaton_Hazel (original poster) at 9:21 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/. You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil, and added magnesium ). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:00 AM on Jul. 13, 2010