Have you ever "broken up" with a friend? Meaning you had a toxic friendship that you had to just cut ties.

I'm sure we've all grown apart from friends but I am wondering about actually cutting someone off abruptly and completely (something they probably don't expect).

Sara.Robyson

Asked by Sara.Robyson at 8:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• Yea, she was one of those girls thats your "friend" but who would talk mess behind your back.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 8:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Yes. More than once. People who are toxic, as you said, are downers, draining, full of drama. I made the decision to cut ties with all of the people bringing be down in my life a long time ago.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 8:31 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Yes. Though the cutting was by circumstance. She was actually a coworker and I was trying to encourage her to get off drugs and alcohol and do something good in her life. Unfortunately she didn't listen. She went to jail. A year later she wanted to come back to work but we denied her. She was a great worker and a nice woman, its just her personal life that messed it all up.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 8:39 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• No, not yet....but I might have to soon......I have a friend who ... let's say : doesn't see eye to eye with me on some things.
    ( I believe in disciplining your kids, she believe it's her job to keep them content @ all times......I believe in cleaning out in yrs. worth of clutter and dusting if you have an astmatic child, she believes in medicating....)

Shortly after meeting, I knew we didn't have a lot in common, but she didn't have any other friends and I wanted to be there for her..the way she lived, she had a lot of problems, and needed a friendly ear.
    But I couldn't just nod and aprove of her choises, and (lovongly, I think) spoke my mind when she asked, she didn't like that and we didn't speak for a yr. till a couple of mos. ago, where she msg. me she missed me...

We are now speaking again, but she thinks we can just pick up where we left......I am taking it slow, and we'll see where it goes....
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 8:42 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Yes. She always tried to be "better" than me, even though I didn't have much. I was getting tired of it, then the final straw was when she started dating a friend of mine. I'd known him since I was like 10yrs old. Always thought of him like a big brother. Very nice guy, but I never had any feelings for him. When she started dating him, she got this "I got him and you didn't" attitude towards me. That attitude pissed me off, so I just stopped talking to her. I still talk to my friend that she dated, married, then left and he divorced her.
    offrdngal

Answer by offrdngal at 8:48 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Sadly I've had a couple friends I've had to do this with.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 9:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• It's been about a year but I "broke up" with actually 3 friends at once. They chose to not stand beside me when my chips were down after I had stood beside them all on countless occasions. Sometimes I get lonely but my true friends I know who they are!!!
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 9:13 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Yup, I've done it and I'll do it again if I have to. I have enough crap going on in my life, I don't need someone trying to drag me down, one up me or talk behind my back. One girl I thought was my friend actually cried when I told her I was pregnant cuz we weren't ever gonna have kids (no, no idea where she even got that from!! It was never, ever discussed!!). She saw my dd once after I had her and that was it. I have no use for negative people in my life.
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 10:23 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• i have only done that one time because it's happened to me before where i've been the one that was just cut off and i had no idea what i did and never got an explanation. but my best friend of around 12 years was being really disrespectful, making plans and not showing up and not even calling to tell me or anything like that and when she would show up she would be on her phone the WHOLE time either talking or texting and i got tired of it so the last time she "stood me up" i just stopped calling her and she tried calling me but i didn't return the calls and we did not speak for a year and then we both just some how got over it and were able to mend our friendship a year later and i think we grew from the experience
    pmg1030

Answer by pmg1030 at 4:41 AM on Jul. 13, 2010