How would you react if your child told you they wanted to serve in the military once they turned 18?

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 8:43 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• scared for them....it's a big commitment and the almost certain chance of deployment...but otherwise not too worried.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 8:43 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I'd be sad

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:43 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I wouldn't like it but I would support their decision, and be very proud of them.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:44 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• gound them--that is no an option in my house.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 8:44 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• It is one of my greatest fears. I would be proud of course, but I would not be able to sleep the entire time they were gone D:
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:45 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I would be worried for them, with things being the way they are now, but glad that they at least had some sort of direction in their life. The military can provide discipline and education.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:45 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• The way I reacted was to make sure he understood all the risks. When he decided it was def. what he wanted we supported him 100%. Once they are 18 you can't stop them..you really have little say if they are dead set on going.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:45 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Well, mine won't be 18 for another 17 years, but even if he were 16 now, I would be proud. Scared out of my wits, but proud.
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 8:47 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I'd probably try to encourage them to go into an ROTC program to get their education, and to be an officer with more career potential.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 8:47 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• First I would probably tell them NO WAY, and freak out even though I know my saying no wouldn't matter, but after that I'd just be very afraid for them, then I'd be very proud of them.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 8:49 PM on Jul. 12, 2010