Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do we have to go through the courts to get a divorce?

How exactly does a divorce work? Can someone explain it to me...the entire process! Thanks so much!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (4)
  • You get an attorney, they file the petition for divorce, get a court date and then go before the judge and he makes his judgment, signs off on it and it's over. That's as long as it's NONE contested... Been there and done it so message me if you need more details...

    Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:47 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

  • If you are both in agreement and not fighting over anything, you can just get a lawyer to draw up the divorce papers, sign, file, done. That's called uncontested divorce. No court needed. That's what my hubby and his exwife did.

    Answer by DarkFaery131 at 8:50 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

  • There are a lot of websites that allow you to draw up divorce papers yourself. You could do that, fill them out, divide up possessions/assets, then both you and him sign, and get it notarized. Then you take those to the court (I believe its the circuit court) and pay a filing fee. After a certain # of days (here in AL its 30) a judge signs them and the divorce is final. Or you could get a lawyer who would make up the papers for you, and charge you for his time, plus filing fees. I used an attorney it was easy. Our divorce cost $750, about $300 of which was filing fees. If you dont agree on things it will be more time/money. If you have any specific questions you can message me and I'd be happy to tell you what we did, my divorce was finalized a few weeks ago, but different states have different laws -- some you have to be seperated for a yr before you can be divorced, others you attend classes first

    Answer by soccerchik8287 at 9:04 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

  • In most states there are local free legal advise centers you can contact one in your area, but if you have children there is usually a waiting period before a divorce is granted and you will have to agree on custody/medical/and child support during this time, but NOT all states do this so contact someone with in the legal field to get answers...

    Answer by gmasboy at 9:54 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.