I need a big pep talk!!

Ok...I have big anxieties when it comes to driving...long distances and in big busy cities in particular. My family lives three hours away and my husband usually drives. Well...we are having a lot of problems (discussing divorce) and he's refusing to go with me. I need to get some of my independence back, but I'm scared to drive when it's just me and my two young children. In desperate need of some encouragement! Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• Aw you can do it, just take deep breaths, listen to relaxing soothing happy music, and focus on the end goal. Good luck with everything.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 8:50 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Get a GPS. I am afraid of driving, mainly because I tend to get lost. With a GPS it is less likely that you get lost.

Answer by Bmat at 8:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• You can do it! Get a GPS, make sure your cell phone is charged, if you have one. Make it fun, get some of your favorite music and sing along with your kids. Think of it as a new beginning and enjoy the freedom!!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:55 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• 1) have a GPS with you so you won't get lost
    2) have a charged cell phone
    3) when you start to get that paniced feeling pull off at a rest stop for a couple of minutes and take some deep breaths.
    4) if you have any soothing body spray scents of loutions put them on right before you go and take them with you. reaplly each time you need a break.
    and
    5) remember you can do anything you set your mind to. It might be nice to have someone else drive but you don't have to have them you CAN do it.

Best of luck! I wish you all the best!
    SolaraDarkset

Answer by SolaraDarkset at 9:01 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• do not get a gps..it could distract you. Have a talk with your kids before you leave and tell them how you need them to be on their best behaviour because you are nervous. Try to take the route that is easiest (less turns)...even if it is a major highway..(you can do it)
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:04 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I don't know what all the hype is over a GPS...but i do not recommend it for someone who has little or no driving experience. I have been driving for 12 yrs and that thing is SO distracting to me...i just want to rip it out and toss it out the window!!!! Its only nice if you have someone else riding along
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:07 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I sympathize with you. I have an anxiety disorder and have not driven in 2 years. I cannot stand driving in big cities or on freeways. But I am going to start driving again, I was going to start in June but I broke my ankle in May and don't have the drs ok to drive yet. I will start with the back country roads to get used to driving again and it will make me feel not so nervous. And I won't ever travel without a cell phone. Just try little short trips to start with, maybe to the store or somewhere close without the kids with you at first so you don't have that distraction. One other thing I learned when I lived in Alaska. I was terrified to drive in snow but I HAD to learn to do it. I'm a country music fan but the only thing that made me relax enough to drive in snow was playing classic rock really loudly LOL. Don't know why it worked but it did. Good luck to you, I know you can do it :)
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 6:08 AM on Jul. 13, 2010