What do you do during a thunderstorm?

When you're in the house with the kids what do you do to help ease their fears?

feb28

Asked by feb28 at 8:50 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Ours love them so we watch a movie, or play a game..If it's at bedtime they just go to bed.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:52 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• We made a game of it. Laughing, joking. They tried to be afraid, but we played count how long between the sound and the light flash, and we acted all excited. They never were afraid.

Answer by Bmat at 8:52 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• We cheer on God bowling LOL
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 8:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I've never reacted, besides "do you hear the thunder" and mocked the sound! We look at the lightning out the window and my kids aren't scared of it.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 8:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• My husband taught the kids to say Shoooooooooo doggies evertime thunder rolls. We also talk to them about the lightening cuts the air, thats the dangerous part...the thunder is just the air or (clouds) bumpping back together. As they got older we talked about what you never do in a thunder storm..like stand under a tree, swim etc. Most kids aren't scared of the flash..just the noise. We make sure they know the noise is the harmless part.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:57 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• We get Thunder Coffee. It's a tradition I brought from Denmark. We make coffee and have a snack (kids get soda) and count the distance to the thunder :)
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 9:01 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Explained to them what causes it, and that it is simply a sound. That is all. My kids love to watch/listen to storms with me. It's a peaceful family time for us. If it's bed time, they lay in bed and listen to the "rain drums" to put them to sleep.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:03 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• First you should turn off and unplug all the elctronics. Do not take a shower or talk on the phone when there is a thunderstorm going on. Down here in Oklahoma we teach our kids about tornadoes too. And where to go if we have one come to town.

Answer by louise2 at 9:16 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I love thunderstorms and my kids tend to go off "my mood". So if I smile so do they. So we just do what we do any other time. =)
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 11:00 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• They don't normally freak out over thunderstorms.  They sleep through them at night and during the day we are usually sitting on our front porch watching if it isn't blowing too hard or watching from our back door.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2010