Why poll troops about gays in the military?

When Harry Truman wanted to integrate blacks into the U.S. military in 1948, he simply ordered it done. When the Navy wanted women on ships beginning in 1978, it commanded its admirals to do so. When the Clinton Pentagon decided women should become fighter pilots, it issued orders telling the military to make it happen. For generations, the military mind-set has been, If we want you to have an opinion, we'll issue you one. So why is the Pentagon asking troops how they'll feel if forced to serve alongside openly gay comrades?

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2003075,00.html?xid=rss-nation-yahoo

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:12 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• So they can say,"see? No one wants them in there!" You make them scared to have them in their ranks,then poll them.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:14 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• they'r hoping that there'll be enough people in the military against allow gays to serve that they won't have to let them. It took an insane amount of equal rights groups pushing the military to let both 'blacks' and women and it will take twice that to let gays in now. My brother is a marine and a member of his unit is gay but he "hides" it so he doesn't get kicked out. isn't that sad? He has to hide who he truly is because he wants to serve his country and isn't a loud.
    SolaraDarkset

Answer by SolaraDarkset at 9:17 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• because if there are gays in the military and they are intimate with each other then that could be distracting..just the same as why they don't want women going into combat..it can be distracting to the men
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:15 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Because they're the ones who's opinion really matters. It's their barracks. And because we dont live in a tyranical state. The people living under the rule ARE the ones whos opinions matter.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:19 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I suppose to see if they're comfortable with the idea, but that's obvious. I don't really see why it's anyone else's business if someone wants to risk their life for their country, gay or not.

"Would you mind serving alongside an African American? — these kinds of questions make those groups second-class citizens," he says."

I agree with this part of it. Not to mention, there HAVE to be gay people already serving, whether they've admitted it or not. How is that going to make them feel, having to take this survey?

LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:25 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• see, this pisses me off. to no end. You all know I can't stand Obama. But I thought maybe he'd do some good in the equal rights department (no one is all bad).

I'm beginning to wonder if he screws up his wet dreams. This should've been the easiest thing in the world to fix, so why in God's dear sweet name are we still talking about it!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:41 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• "thats what they are afraid of. "

They are afraid of people having sex with others of the same sex? Oh, the horror! Whatever will they do in a battleground where REALLY scary stuff happens like people getting their body parts blown off?

They need to focus on the REAL enemies out there. The ones planting the IEDs.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:24 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• pretty much what butterflyblue said. so they can say "we told you so"
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:17 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I find this amusing because these are the people who thing gays throw themselves on heterosexuals! They have standards too,they don't want every guy they see(woman for lesbians). If you're hetero,are you trying to hump every guy you see? Of course not! They make the troops scared that if they let the openly gay in,all hell will break loose and there will be choas in the streets with gays raping their fellow troops! Trust me,they're there for the same reasons as the straights.You can't tell me that the straight folks aren't getting it on while on duty.So whats the difference?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Okay, instead of acting like i'm a gay bashing bad guy..you people need to pull your heads out of your asses and see that maybe there could be a real problem.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:59 PM on Jul. 12, 2010