Is there any way to tell the difference between chigger and flea bites?

My dd went to her bio-mom's house for the day and came back with so many bites on her. They look like chigger bites, but she has them all over her legs, arms, back, and one on her hand. My dd told me that her mommy got a new dog that sleeps in the house and also that she was playing in tall grass. If the bites were just on her legs, I would just be thinking chiggers, but for her to have the bites on her back and hand, that's making me think her house may be infested with fleas. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

nicolemstacy

Asked by nicolemstacy at 9:42 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Health

• I googled and can't find an answer for you. I did find that chiggers don't infest houses, but if the child was playing in the grass that it is probably chiggers. That chiggers tend to bite ankles and skin folds and places where belts or elastic would keep them from traveling on the body. When I used to get flea bites from an infested house, they were mainly on my ankles. Could it possibly be chicken pox? or poison ivy?

Answer by Bmat at 10:05 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• The bites are red, swollen, hard, and hot to the touch. I don't think it is chicken pox or poison ivy, but I really do appreciate you looking it up for me!
    nicolemstacy

Comment by nicolemstacy (original poster) at 10:12 PM on Jul. 12, 2010