Does anyone have a preschooler with a depression or anxiety issue?

What do you do about it? I don't want to see him on meds, but I don't know what else I can do. I'm BPD2, I know how rough depression and anxiety are first hand and don't want to see him go through that, but I was almost killed by the meds they put me on as a child and I don't want that either...

What to do, what to do!?!?!?!

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 9:49 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We have a 5 year old with severe anxiety issues, hes been DX with several things and this is one of them. There are developmental peds and behavior analysts that can help teach your child how to handle stress ect, asl child psycologist work with this as well. We do not medicate at this point.
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 9:54 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• My oldest has aspergers and as a 3 y/o and still today has anxiety but not really depression. It took therapy and learning redirection as well as how to talk to him and prepare him for situations that would cause the anxiety. It takes time to learn what will set them off and what method works best to lessen the anxiety. We didnt start med until 2 years ago (he is now 12) he asked me for the meds, and we talked to the doctor and researched it together, but it is not something i would do with any child until they could tell me what they feel and explain to me in detail how it affects them. Personally I would prefer no meds but he says it takes the edge off the sensory problems and helps him focus.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 9:55 PM on Jul. 12, 2010