Stress Test???

My doctor is going to do a stress test next Monday I was wanting to know why it is done and if yours have came out negative or positive...

babycakeschris

Asked by babycakeschris at 9:52 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• A non stress test? It's just that you sit there and they monitor babies movements, your contractions if any, and the heartrate of the baby.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 9:54 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• You mean non stress test? Never heard of a stress test. What do they do?Poke the baby? lol

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:55 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• geez, watch those things...my mother's friend died during a stress test (cardiac)...right there...and my dog walker only 48 who is so in shape, had to ask to stop after 5 mins....she runs 3 miles a day!
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 9:55 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Im 37 weeks and i have had 2 done to me. Its cause your blood pressure is too high (u could also have protein in your urine) and they want to make sure the baby is ok. Mine came out fine, but hes going to do it again this week just to monitor the babys heartbeat. They put a belt around your stomach and give you a clicker, and you just sit there for 20 minutes while it records the babys heartbeat.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 9:55 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• oh crap...you mean a fetal stress test~"never mind"
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 9:56 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• i think you mean a non stress test, i had many of them with my ds. no big deal. they made me sit in a comfy recliner and moniter baby's movement and heart rate for about 20 mins. you know when they listen to the heart rate, it's like the same kind of thing, it just takes longer. there really isn't a negative or positive.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 9:58 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• mine was done once a week because i had low blood platelets during my pregnancy and they wanted to be sure my little man was ok.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 9:59 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• lol, that happens in a lot of pregnancies. Don't worry at all, it's just precautionary, likely because you had a slightly abnormal urine test. If it was something to worry about, you'd be over in labor and delivery right now instead of asking this.

You sit there, and they wrap some curly bands around your belly, and put some pads on you, and count the baby's movements. If the baby's not very active, they'll give you some juice.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:59 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• do you mean a non stress test? I've had them for all three of my children. Basically you sit there with a jeopardy buzzer in one hand and press it each time your baby moves. they are looking for a number of movements in a length of time and an increase in the heartbeat sustained for a length of time (I asked my nurse but I can't remember the exact details because it was a while ago). I found it very relaxing and almost fell asleep a couple times. It was a great opportunity to catch up on my reading. Just relax, have a snack before you go, pick a time your little one is active and it will be no problem.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:02 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• when i was prego with my little boy they did a non stress test 3 times a week bc i had bad things happen with my first prego. so it is nothing to get upset over
    MommyOfTwo20708

Answer by MommyOfTwo20708 at 10:25 PM on Jul. 12, 2010