Supplements?

Has anyone heard of or tried capsinoids? This is from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition: Chilli peppers contain substances such as capsaicin, dihydrocapsaicin and nordihydrocapsaicin. These are responsible for the burning sensation in your mouth when you eat chilli pepper. This happens because the substances attach themselves to the TRPV1 receptor. And because they interact with this receptor, pepper extracts also increase the body’s fat burning. They do this so effectively that a number of reviews have already pointed to these components as promising ingredients for anti-obesity supplements and functional foods. And they have an added health advantage: pepper components reduce the risk of prostate cancer.
Please let me know what you think about this? Has anyone tried this?

MEstrada1222

Asked by MEstrada1222 at 10:10 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I take "pepper water" 1-3 times a day. I use cayenne pepper drops from Whole Foods. I have a friend who takes cayenne pills because she cannot tolerate the burn (I won't take the pills because of the gelatin.) I find that as long as I am active - walking, hiking, biking, it does help.

DH and I also take a tumeric pill. It is supposed to help with arthritis pain as well as helping to boost the metabolism.

DH read something about certain foods are warming, like chili powder, tumeric and lemon juice. They are supposed to help with metabolism.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:16 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• personally, i think you are best off eating the foods as opposed to taking the supplements. god put just the right amount of everything in everything, kwim? i'm exhausted, not sure if i'm making sense!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:48 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• You make perfect sense. This is mainly for those people who can't stand the burn after eating chillies. But, I get where your coming from. Thanks!
    MEstrada1222

Comment by MEstrada1222 (original poster) at 8:42 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I take Juice Plus. Nothing exotic from the rain forest just fruits and vegetables. They come in a capsule so it's really convenient. They also make a Gummy form that my husband loves. We have both seen a big difference in our health since we started using it, so much in fact that I became a Rep with the company. I sleep better, I've lost weight and I have more energy. Three years ago I was so ill I couldn't leave the house so i'ts something I share with people. You just never know who you might be able to help.
    www.welovejuiceplus.com
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 12:36 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• One a day makes a vitamin I used to take when I was actively trying to lose weight that includes pepper. It also had about as much caffeine in it as a cup of coffee. I don't know if it was the pepper or the caffeine, but that pill made me feel sick as a dog every time I took it!
    krystel.justice

Answer by krystel.justice at 8:53 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I like Melalluca vitamins myself. And Yoli has a great supplement called Alkalete I absolutely love. It reduces the acidity in your body ~ does wonders for acid reflux, helps your body recover quicker from workouts or hard days, rehydrates your body. I never knew how many ways our bodies were affected by acid until I discovered this ~ amazing really!! It comes in drink form ~ FUN Active and capsules. I became a rep after being a customer for a time ~ you can check out more about Alkalete at www. lauraw.buyyoli.com
    jekrmom

Answer by jekrmom at 8:18 PM on Jul. 14, 2010