does my MIL have the right to be upset that my dh's stepmom was also listed as a grandmother on a baby announcement? He was raised by his step-mom

Long story short...
My MIL basically abandoned her 2 kids when they were under 3. Her ex got remarried and died several years later. The step mother got custody, which my MIL never got over. She wasn't really part of my dh's life until our kids were born and I talked my dh into letting her be more involved. After our kids were born we included both her and my dh's step mom on the baby announcement. She voiced her disappointment both times.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• "Yes, she has the right to be upset. That doesn't mean it's not silly for her to be. "

Of course she is entitled to her own feelings, we feel what we feel but she does not have the right to complain and should not have mentioned it.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 10:33 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• it really doesn't matter what she says and it's really none of her business what you put on YOUR announcements!!
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Oh well then! If his step mom WAS his mother growing up, then he's lucky that you even put his mother's name on the announcement at all. She surely must have forgot what she did in the past.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• That's selfish on her part. She should be happy just to be included in his and their lives now. Wow.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 10:30 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Yes, she has the right to be upset. That doesn't mean it's not silly for her to be.
    Azure

Answer by Azure at 10:30 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I think I would say "is it really necessary for me to explain WHY stepmom deserves to be on the announcements? I don't think it is and I expect that stepmom's inclusion as a grandmother is never questioned again."
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 10:31 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• She has a right to her feelings. However, you and DH were in no way wrong for including the woman who raised him.

Truth be told, she probably feels bad. The announcement has likely opened an old wound and she doesn't know how to get over it. Maybe she feels that voicing her opinion about it will open a door for her and your DH to talk about the past. Then again, maybe she is just saying that it hurt.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:36 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• She has a right to her opinion, but she should keep it to herself. We have the same situation here... My mom abandoned all five of us (each at different ages, the last she had and handed straight over to my grandma) and my stepmom and grandma were my "mom" growing up. My grandma has passed and my stepmom was listed as a grandma. My bio-mom was pissed I could tell. But she knew that trying to say something would be shot down, she abandoned me and I won't listen to a guilt trip.
    Georgie0502

Answer by Georgie0502 at 10:47 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• MILs.... Ugh!
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 10:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2010