Teen dd has an ear ache....what to do for tonight?

She went swimming last week and has an ear infection as of this afternoon. I gave her tylenol and thats helping. I will take her to the dr tomorrow am. Any other suggestions mommys?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Health

• get a wash cloth wet with hot water, ring it out, and have her hold it against her ear/neck to help with the pain.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:26 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• If you smoke, blow some smoke in her ear. I know it sounds bad but it really does help.
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 11:26 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Well I have a few suggestions. IF its really bad take her to the ER- But a would use heat compress with either a heating pad or rice bag to keep it warmer.. I used to have Sweet Oil slighty warmed up for my ears when I was a kid and it worked a lot! or they have numbing ear drops that you can get. Add that with some tylonal or Motrin and your kiddo should feel a lot better. Good luck! Ear aches are NO fun!
    MommySteph1011

Answer by MommySteph1011 at 11:26 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Tell her to try and get some sleep. Pop a benadryl if she has to
    JacyB

Answer by JacyB at 11:26 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• garlic is a naturally great antibiotic. if you have any, put a slice of it inside her ear and tape it in place. it'll help with the infection over night. I saw it on Dr. OZ lol
    saralouise

Answer by saralouise at 11:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• You can use rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball to help get rid of some of the water. You can also use a blow-dryer on her ear to help dry it out. I have had many, many ear infections, and I know how painful they can be. I hope she is feeling better soon.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 11:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Not wanting to scare you, but Tylenol just had another huge recall. Have you tried giving her ear drops? Having her lay on a warm towel may help ease her pain some. Hope she feels better soon!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 11:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I grew up with ear infections. Ones that would literally wake me up already crying because of the pain. What I would do is get a hot wash cloth (heating pad works better if you have one) and lay on it. It didn't take the pain away, but the warmth helped ease it. You can also put a few drops of hydrogene peroxide in the ear canal. Not sure if it helps with swimming but it help me sometimes. I'd let it soak for a minute or two and then let it drain out.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 11:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• when my daughter gets ear aches, which happens every couple of months, she usually doesnt complain about them til bed time, and its to late to go anywhere, so i put a couple drops of olive oil in her ear, and then a cotton ball..seems to do the trick for the night..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:34 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Motrin/Advil since they last longer/can be piggybacked, and a warm, moist compress on her cheek or neck near the pain, just avoid the ear itself - moisture = more infection
    nappeal

Answer by nappeal at 12:13 AM on Jul. 13, 2010