How do I re-enter the workforce after being a stay-at-home mom?

My son, Parker, is almost 18 months now and I think it's time for me to go back to work. He is so ready for school, too. I found a preschool we both really like, but I didn't register him because I don't have a job yet. I've been applying like a mad-woman for the past week or so, and have several leads, but nothing is set in stone. Not to mention, I have no one to watch Parker so I can go on interviews.

So for those of you who've started a new job after baby, how did you do it? It's a chicken or egg riddle to me. Do I go ahead and enroll him in my dream preschool and HOPE I find a job soon? Or do I wait until I've filled out my W4 and then HOPE the preschool still has a spot open? And how the heck do I go on interviews with a toddler strapped to my legs?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

MrsBlack616

Asked by MrsBlack616 at 11:30 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you can afford to send him two half days a week do it to save your place and have time for interviews automatically every week.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:47 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• What was your education, job experience and job training before becoming a SAHM.

Those things have a lot of influence in regards to going back into the job market after being out for a couple of years.

If I were you.. If it were financially possible to swing daycare while looking for a job. That's what I would do. That way I would be free for interviews, 2nd interviews, orientations if hired, and able to know prior to accepting the job what hours I was definitely available.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 11:35 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Preschool app first, then job hunt. Most preschools and daycares have waiting lists. You don't want to be stuck with a job you can't go to because noone can watch your LO. Of course, that's all dependant on your situation too.
    If you have someone who can watch your LO until you can enroll in a preschool, go for the job first. Whatever will work best for your situation. you might not be able to afford the school while you look for a job.
    Georgie0502

Answer by Georgie0502 at 11:37 PM on Jul. 12, 2010