potty training

my daughter is 15 months when should i start potty training her. any suggestions on when to start and how to go about doing this. This is the one thing I am dreading but cant wait to start. please I need all the advice i can get.

mrswarner08

Asked by mrswarner08 at 11:43 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I started around that age. DD just turned 2 last month. We are still working on it. She has her days. She has learned that she can pee in her pull up so she has gotten lazy with potty training. Keep at it and don't stop and go. I did it and wished I would of just continued with it. I think she would of been done by now if I didn't stop.
    Kimora_neko

Answer by Kimora_neko at 11:46 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• From a potty training Mom to another. Start out playful... pick out a potty sit. Sit there with her on it and read books there. I have spent many hours reading books with my daugther. When she can hold her urine for a few hours at a time, like you notice a dry diaper here and there she should be ready. We let my dd go naked with pottys all over the house. for the first few days would ask her every 10 mins. if she needed to go, and would go take her to the bathroom. After a few days of this she got the hang of peepee goes in potty. We stopped using diapers and used panties... pullups at nap/night time. 3 weeks later we are potty trained! Pump in the fluids! More liquid = more peepee :)) Good luck! But remember, she will only be potty trainable when she is physically and emotionally ready! Don't rush it.. makes it 2x as hard as it should be!
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 11:49 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I understand why you'd want to start, but really - wait for her cues. Does she watch when you go? Is she curious what is going on? Is she waking up from naptime dry? You can always get a potty chair, put it in the bathroom, and just let her experiment. Sit her on it when you go, either with or without a diaper. Once you really get serious about trying, make sure you give her lots of praise for either going or at least trying to go. Some people use books in the bathroom so your child could look at them while trying to go - it never worked for me, but maybe that is just how my kids were. We had a sticker chart and they got to pick out a sticker each time they went potty and put it on the chart. It really depends on the child. I was potty trained before I was 2. My ds was almost 3, my dd was 2 1/2 - and my youngest is not quite 2 and we haven't even started....but I want to :)
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 11:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• ya know...some of the A type personality moms out there would hate to hear me say this...but, i never formally potty trained my four girls and NEVER invested in one of those little potty chairs...LOL! they just observed me going to the potty...and eventually caught on...they were probably 2 to 2 1/2 when they started showing an interest to get on the big girl potty. just remembering back to when they were 15 months...we were introducing pull-ups. i was pretty laid back about the whole thing...they were potty trained by the time they were 3 and completely out of pull-ups by at least 4...i say completely, which means not having to wear them at night.
    Leezah

Answer by Leezah at 11:56 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• she follows me to the bathroom and is so curious about what i am doing. she takes her diapers off and brings them to me, that is what makes me wonder. she took her diaper off in her room and then pooped in the floor.
    mrswarner08

Comment by mrswarner08 (original poster) at 12:07 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I started my daughter at 18 months, she went pee and poop in potty...three times...thought wow, ok...she's going to be potty-trained at a year and a half...well now she's two and a half..and it's still an on-going process. I would say wait...but it doesn't hurt to try...it's just if you start her too early and she doesn't get it right for awhile...you will become frustrated. as long as the kid is potty-trained before preschool (3 years old) but sometimes it takes others longer...up to 5 even. average is 3 though.
    Katie80620

Answer by Katie80620 at 2:50 AM on Jul. 13, 2010