Why isn't residential recycling free?

I remember as a kids having the blue bin and recycling on a everyday bases. I tought it would be nice to have this for my family. But, when I looked up how to recycle in my county, I found out I have to pay a monthly fee PLUS a one time fee of $30 for the bin and bags (understandible).

Still I dont know why it isnt free to help preserve the planet. This is the type of thing taxes should fund.

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 11:50 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It's not the recycling you are paying for. It's the pick up service.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:26 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Oh geez. honey, the planet will be fine. It's the inhabitants I'm worried about. Most people who are big into saving the planet don't have a problem paying to do it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:38 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• you can do what we do...save everything up and just take it to the recycling center at the end of the month
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:52 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• ours is part of the garbage pickup, but we do pay like $2.50 a month for it...wither we use it or not. most ppl in our neighborhood pay for it and dont use it...i find that a lot more sad!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:00 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Ours is included in our taxes...and they take EVERYTHING right from the curb--rolled up carpets, furniture, lawn cuttings, appliances, paint/stain cans etc. and they give us the recycling bins--first one is free, extra barrels cost $10 each.

Sometimes they'll have to come back with a special truck to take the bigger things, but it's so worth it--helps us get our many home improvement projects completed! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:10 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• It's free where I live, but I agree it should be free everywhere!
    Osstie

Answer by Osstie at 11:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• WHAT?!....that's crazy! and sad!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 11:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Our community doesn't even have recycling - we save it all and take it into town every week. I think that it isn't free because those people need to get paid. Otherwise they would raise taxes, and everyone knows how people feel about that!
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 11:52 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• It is part of our private garbage service, garbage not being included in my township or county. We did have to pay $30 for the bin though. We more than fill up the bin, but they still seem to take it in a box next to the bin.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:52 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I would be happy just to have it as an option - free or not.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:32 AM on Jul. 13, 2010