For moms that co-sleep

Ok, I never thought I would be a co-sleeper and still not 100% sure I like it but it is so much easier when you breastfeed. DS is 4 months and just a few weeks ago started sleeping in his pack n play right next to our bed. Well he sleeps in it good until his 1st feeding in the night which is usually 2 or 3 am, then he crys when I put him back to bed. I have also recently tried nursing him when layin in bed and to to my suprise he did great ( he has swallow problems so i had never tried before) anyways when he wakes up I just put him in bed and nurse him and we both fall back asleep. My question is aren't you worried about smoothering your baby ? any tips on making co-sleeping safer?

staciaw

Asked by staciaw at 11:59 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• they have little box things you can put on your bed for the baby to sleep in. i'm not sure what they are called.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:01 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• unless you are morbidly obese, on drugs (either legal or illegal) or drinking, you should be fine.
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 12:02 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• No, I'm always aware of where my baby is. Just like I don't roll off the edge of the bed at night.

to make co-sleeping safe, remove all pillows and fluffy blankets from around baby's area and make sure the mattress is firm against the headboard. Don't co-sleep or allow your partner in the bed if you've been drinking or take medications that make you drowsy or sleep harder. Smoking is also a no-no for co-sleepers. If either you or your partner smoke don't co-sleep. That's pretty much it :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:03 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Put him in the bed w u
    TexasPride85

Answer by TexasPride85 at 12:04 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• All three of my sons slept in our bed when they were of nursing age and they all survived. Never had a problem with it.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 12:05 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Neither one of us are smokers and even if either one of us had only 1 beer baby WOULD NOT sleep with us. I am paranoid of hurting him even though I am a light sleeper. So do YOU cover up with blankets when your baby is sleeping in bed with yuo?
    staciaw

Comment by staciaw (original poster) at 12:16 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Yes, just not fluffy ones :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:22 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I do the same thing with dd. She sleeps in her crib until she wakes up to eat then I feed her in my bed and we both go back to sleep.it doesn't bother me. I usually wake up everytime she twitches and I keep my arm around her.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 12:43 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I had my sons' crib next to my bed for a little while when he was a young infant. I did sometimes fall asleep with him, but I myself slept very lightly and would not move at all. I also would never use pillows or sheets when he was in the bed with me.
    krystel.justice

Answer by krystel.justice at 2:32 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• i was planing on it with my 1st, untill my best friends cousins baby died this way. the baby was 13 weeks and she turned her head into daddys pillow and suffocated. up to you, but i couldnt take the risk. i make sure i allways share this info with moms who are thinking about doing it. gl.
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 9:24 AM on Jul. 13, 2010