Being induced one day after due date ur ideas?

I have had 1 mc and so worried even tho ive gone this long my baby could be taken away from me still so I am inducing so I dont have to worry if hes ok or not. And b/c im after my due date and im uncomfy is this wrong?

dairyberrys

Asked by dairyberrys at 12:04 AM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Well, it increases risks to both you and the baby. It's not WRONG, but it's not the safest choice if you have no other medical conditions indicating induction.

It's safest to wait, but it's not wrong for you to feel how you do. It's hard to let nature take it's course sometimes!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:06 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I was induced three days after my due date and I was in labor for 10 hours and only dialated 1cm. I ended up with a C section. I just don't dialate...even with my second and third pregnancies I didn't dialate. If I had the choice, I would have gone longer...but it's totally up to you and what you feel is right for you.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 12:06 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I can understand your concern (with losing your first child and all).

Inductions can make labor pains much more intense, so be prepared. I was induced with my daughter.

All I can say is, I wish you the BEST of luck!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:07 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• If you and baby are fine & healthy, avoiding unnecessary risks is important.

Get all the details for why you should/would consider it. Ask all your questions. Get the pros & cons, risks & benefits, alternative options...

Generally, it is safer to follow the cues of Mother Nature / God and wait for a spontaneous labor.
    The due date is only the mid-point within the average estimated due period (of 38-42 weeks). So it is very normal to pass the due date.

Good luck!
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:32 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• As some of the PPs said, induction can cause added risks. The reason is, you would be surprised how good your body is at knowing just when the right time to deliver this baby is. First, due dates are only guesses. Your due date could be off by as much as two weeks. Secondly, even if you know exactly when you conceived, everyone is different and your body might want to nurture this life a little longer.

While it may not harm your baby to come out "early" the biggest problem is that if your body is forced into labor before it's ready, it may not perform well. It's not ready to push the baby out, and it might not do a very good job, leading to an unnecessary c-section, which holds lots more risks. Pitocin, which is the most common drug used for inductions, causes more intense contractions that are more painful and closer together. Your body doesn't ahve as much of a break, so it's common for fatigue to set in more (cont)
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:11 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• .... Worst of all, the contractions being close together can keep your baby from getting the needed oxygen, leading to fetal distress and, again, a c-section.

Ultimately, as doulala said, you're the mama and you're the one who's got to make the decisions based on what you believe is right. But just make sure you're making a decision based on wise information and not simply fear. Good luck mama!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:14 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• If you can go naturally I would suggest it. I was induced because of preeclampsia and it SUCKED. With an induction you will most likely be stuck in bed and between that and the pitocin, the contractions are very, very intense. It is very hard to manage labor pain without meds when you are having super intense contractions before your body is ready for them and they don't get intense slowly. If you decide to go with induction, have the doctor explain every step of the process to you before you start and the risks that go with it. I understand your fear, but be prepared, induction is not safer or any easier than going natural and most of the time the opposite is actually true.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:23 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• If your biggest worry is the safety of your baby, I say avoid the induction. Adelicious hit the nail on the head with her reply, and I couldn't say it any better. If you're overdue, your doc should be monitoring you a bit more closely now. I know how uncomfy it is...I went 7 days overdue with my first, and 10days with my second. But, baby's safety and health are of number one concern, right? If your pregnancy is otherwise completely uncomplicated and everything is appearing normal at your prenatal visits, then letting nature take it's course is the best, safest option. I wish you the best with your delivery no matter what you decide and hope that you get to meet your little bundle in due time!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:26 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I would say DO NOT GET INDUCED. just wait it out. if you're 42 weeks, then get induced!!!
    Katie80620

Answer by Katie80620 at 2:46 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• do not get induced. it is much MUCH safer to wait until nature takes its course. being induced has lots of risks for mom and baby. it can cause baby to go into distress. your risk of having a c/s goes up much more when being induced.
    it's really not worth the risk. if you are worried, then you can talk to your dr about having NST every week to check on baby. all they do it hook you up to the monitor and watch baby's hr and see if you're having any ctx.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 10:10 AM on Jul. 13, 2010