What are the signs of mastitis or milk fever?

My breast is sore. Anyone can barely touch it and it hurts. I can feed my daughter and it feels somewhat better. There is a red line from under my areola then loops around and seems to be headed to my shoulder. Other than pain and the line that's it.

crazymom21

Asked by crazymom21 at 12:26 AM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Health

• Do you have a fever? That sounds a bit like a blocked milk duct to me. Go take a steamy shower, and express some milk milk with your hand while you are in there. Make sure the baby empties that breast first, and you can take a tylenol for the pain.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/t022200.asp
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:31 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• No fever.... Clogged milk duct sounds right since it feels like milk is being forced past something slowly. Its not full now. I put her to bed on that side.
    crazymom21

Comment by crazymom21 (original poster) at 12:36 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Is the red area hard and warm to the touch? Those are signs of infection.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:43 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• No its just a red line about half a finger nails width wide. Seriously its weird. Just pain. Well my nipples have been feeling weird lately before this. Kinda like a burning sensation. This is my 4th baby but I have never known any problems like this.
    crazymom21

Comment by crazymom21 (original poster) at 1:56 AM on Jul. 13, 2010