If your child wants to go to a church with her/his friends that doesn't share the same beliefs as you, would you let them go?

renea20

Asked by renea20 at 12:38 AM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes..

Not only would I ....... I have... My son is Sikh .. He has went with friends to : Hindu Temples, Baptist Church, Methodist Church, Mosque, Pentecostal Church and Catholic Mass.

The only way for my son to find "his" way in regards to his beliefs is to learn and experience as much as he can in regards to different beliefs/views/outlooks.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 12:48 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Yes, of course. Any path my children want to discover is fine with me, as long as they understand that it's not mine and I don't welcome preaching of any kind in my home...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:43 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Absolutely. Children need to explore and experience other cultures and religions. If you are raising a child strong and devoted to your faith you should have nothing to fear... What is the harm in learning?
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 12:43 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Yep. Kids that age are often staying the night at each others houses and if you stay a Saturday night I don't find it odd to go to church with the family on Sunday.

My parents never questioned this as I grew up and I went to probably 10 different churches with varies friends. I learned alot about the various religions and I think I am more open minded and educated about religions because of it.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 12:48 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• probably. . . it is my DD's right to decided for herself what religion is right for her. . .

Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 12:39 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Probably but it depends how old they are also. Like my 5 year old probably not but if he/she was like 8 and could make choices then yes, every person has the right to make that choice, just like every child that knows right from wrong and could decide for themselves and speak for themselves does too.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 12:41 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• yes. But be prepared.. do a little study into what he may learn about. and use the opportunity to explore and discuss. Devotion to one church can be dangerously misleading, unfortunately.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:40 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• It would depend on their ages and whether I would have to take them or they catch a ride with their friend but sure, I don't see why not. The age factor for me is more central around car safety than anything. Like I probably wouldn't let a child go that is still using a car seat because of switching it between cars etc.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:42 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Still I would probably let her. . . but yes as Lovinangels says research and study so answers can be asked and answered and you can explain about your own religion by comparison. . . even younger kids will understand this and it can be a fun experience to see how others live and believe.

Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 12:43 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Not right now because she's only 5 and still trying to please the adults around her. I don't want her to think something is true simply because someone stands up and claims it to be. But, by age 10 or 12 I think she'd be old enough to sort through what's being said and decide for herself what she feels to be the truth. It will be her choice what religion she chooses to follow.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:43 AM on Jul. 13, 2010