Someone Please Tell Me I'm Over Reacting!

I feel like a failure! My brother in law started potty training his daughter. I know I should be happy for him, but I'm not. His step daughter who is 2 weeks younger than my oldest was potty trained at 2 years old within a week and could talk perfect before 3 years old. DS will be 4 years old in August; Still isn't potty trained and doesn't talk. Now it seems to be the same pattern with his daughter and my youngest son who is 2 years old. Am I over reacting? I know kids learn at different speeds, but come on there is a limit to believing that. It really makes me question on ever having anymore kids. I don't think I could deal with this again. Someone please tell me I'm over reacting!

Apple_Pie2010

Asked by Apple_Pie2010 at 12:57 AM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Trust me you are over reacting
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 12:58 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Boys talk and potty train later than girls.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:58 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I thought boys learn slower than girls do....I could be wrong, but i've heard it somewhere before.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 12:59 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• You know I heard that boys take there time and girls learn a lot faster. All I could suggest it to keep encouraging them, or ask him for tips, it might make you a little less envious about the situation.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 1:00 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• your overreacting and sound jealous, and must have not faith in your LO's they can feel your neg energy
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 1:01 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Boys potty training later is a method and thats why they are trained later because people are believing it and waving it off. BOTH, my boys were potty trained by two years of age. Both talking. They had accidents here and there, but nothing that couldn't be prevented.

But no, you're not over reacting. I would be freaking out if my son wasn't up to speed. Take him to the doctor.
    randerykah

Answer by randerykah at 1:03 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• only watch for change in your kids~you are doing a great job mothering~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 1:03 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• You're over reacting.......

do you feel better now? Probably not....but I'll try to help you out (hopefully!)

The old saying that boys take longer than girls has proven MOSTLY true in my family. HOWEVER if your 4 year old son isn't talking, you should look into early invervention or talk to his pedi or something like that. There is DEFINITELY a limit to "learning at different speeds".
    That being said, my dd was still wetting the bed at 6 while my oldest ds was totally done by 3. But her vocabulary was WAY ahead of his at those younger ages. Even my youngest son doesn't talk as well as dd did at 2. And he hasn't even STARTED potty training yet. So yes, it really does depend on the child.

Like I said, if he isn't talking yet, be sure to ask his doc. If nothing else, just to make you feel better. And try not to compare too much - it only makes you worry more than necessary :)
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 1:05 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• The average boy trains at 39 months, not two.

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:06 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Our son is 3 y/o and screams if you put him on the potty. I'll be lucky to have him trained by Jr. High. His vocabulary is improving, but only I can understand most of it. Don't measure your son by your in-laws kids'.

Potty training, no big deal to me, but I too would let my doctor know of the speech delay. But then, relax! :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 1:14 AM on Jul. 13, 2010