Do you give a homeless person money even though they might have a cigarrette or beer/liquor in there hand?

I usually give homeless people money even if it's 25 cents, but lately I've been a little stingy if I see him/her with a cigarrette or alcohol in there hand. Yes, I feel bad about it thinking that maybe that dollar would have gone to a mcChicken sandwich or something from the dollar menu, but I'm usually broke anyways and have been struggling to make ends meet and I don not want to pay for someones addiction to smoking and drinking. How about you? do you still give them money?

babyangelromero

Asked by babyangelromero at 12:57 AM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• yes/
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:59 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Yes! Once the money is out of my hand they can do as they please with it. If a beer or cig gets them through the day then I have done my part.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 12:59 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• usually I give them food. I keep paper sacks of canned food in my cars, that way, if I see someone I can just hand them a sack of food.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 1:00 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Nope

I rarely give money to homeless people. I live in a city that has literally THOUSANDS of homeless people. I am (literally) asked for money at least 1-3 times per every city block I walk, every single day.. I will give vouchers for food at Sisters of the Road, and vouchers for other organization, when I give things out.. But I very rarely ever give money.. I also volunteer at 2 different orgs for homeless people in my city, so I help in other ways..
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:02 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• if it is the end of the month I will give money~the cig or the drink in their hand~I have never seen that...mostly dogs or old ladies sitting on the walkers~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 1:06 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I give to them. I won't deprive a person of something to ease their pain.
    Meladori_Magpie

Answer by Meladori_Magpie at 1:09 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• No, I need my money and don't want it going to their bad habits! I don't spend my money on cigarettes so why would I want someone else spending my money on cigarettes? I'm definitely more the type to give them food than cash even if they don't have a cigarette or drink in their hand.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:16 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I don't give money. I give clothes and food.
    Katie80620

Answer by Katie80620 at 2:41 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• We don't give money....but we have offered to buy food for a couple of people. They didn't want the food! They wanted cash. Wonder what THAT would have gone for.... I feel bad for thinking negatively when I see homeless guys now asking for food, but almost all of them I've come across didn't want us to go and buy them a few groceries they could have with them for a few days to eat, just the money. I help people I know who are in need or offer to donate old toys and clothes to other parents who are less fortunate...which even THAT bites you in the butt sometimes because there are a lot of "needy" people who then turn around and sell the clothes you give them...and I'd prefer it go to someone who is actually in need.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 5:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Nope, I give them McDonald's give cards. It may not be a healthy meal, but they are not using it for beer or drugs - they have to eat something. They could trade it for drugs, but at least in the end someone is getting fed!
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 5:51 PM on Jul. 13, 2010