Did you know. . .Agent Orange?

The most urgent feminine product health concern is that chlorine-bleached and rayon-containing products carry trace amounts of dioxin, an extremely toxic chemical that is associated with cancer of the stomach, sinus lining, liver and lymph system. Many people are familiar with the danger of dioxins from publicity about Agent Orange and the Love Canal catastrophe. Tampons are linked to carcinogenic dioxin formed during the bleaching process that manufacturers use to purify and whiten both raw cotton and the wood pulp that goes into synthetic fibers such as rayon, a common fiber in tampons. "You find trace amounts of dioxin in some tampons, which have maximal contact with the vagina's mucous membrane, which absorbs substances directly into the bloodstream," explains Philip Tierno, MD, director of clinical microbiology and immunology at New York University Medical Center .

So what do you use? I'm a "diva".

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Health

• I've been wanting to get a diva cup for a while, but haven't bought one yet. Do you like it or are you just using it to be eco friendly?
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 1:11 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• the continuous pill~no periods at all~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 1:08 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• a diva?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:04 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• a diva. . someone who uses a diva cup or otherwise menstrual cup.  it is better than tampoons or pads and is eco friendly as well as low to no risk of TSS.

Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 1:07 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• a diva cup?
    Meladori_Magpie

Answer by Meladori_Magpie at 1:08 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• what the hell? a diva cup?
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 1:10 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I love it! and it is a plus that it is eco friendly :) http://www.divacup.com/ it is definitely worth it. . .
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 1:12 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I had to google that~U had "dixie cup" in my head and I was trying to imagine....
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 1:15 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I use tampons.
    dinaca81

Answer by dinaca81 at 1:27 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I still use tampons, most of the articles that I have found are more on the side of saying that the dioxin exposure is minimal. And I am NOT going to use a diva cup. Menstrual products were not meant to be reused in my opinion.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:31 AM on Jul. 13, 2010