Anyone know of any fun inexpensive acctivities to do with a 3 yr old and a 5 yr old besides go to the park or go outside?

I'm 31 weeks and 4 days pregnant and its hard to move around all that much to take the kids to the park or sit outside with them. The yard isn't fenced in so it scares me to take them out by myself cause I have probs getting out of a chair. We live by a busy street. The park I'd have to walk to. My husband has the car for work for now and its just a little to far to walk with them both. they love to be outdoors. they love to color and play with their toys but we live with Husbands mom who works the night shift so they have to be kinda quiet during the day. Thats a feat let me tell ya.

rachelhazen1

Asked by rachelhazen1 at 1:22 AM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Finger paint, play dough, games like Hi Ho cherry O, memory. Have them help you bake cookies and let them frost them.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 1:24 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• WOW! CAn you borrow your MIL car? Call you local book stores and see if they have story times. Most libraries also have them. We go tp the library and check out books, but their most favorite is story time at the book store.
    randerykah

Answer by randerykah at 1:25 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• do you have crayons and markers? You can always have them draw pictures of themselves or there favorite animal, places they love to visit. I'm 31 weeks also and I was put on bed rest it was horrible and I also have a 5 year old and 3 year old. They start school next month. there not in school but we're doing alot of preping. Like with there numbers, colors, shapes and letters. they like it and I have like a little letter, color or number hunt around the house I also put on yoga for kids for them, they love it and dancing videos for kids from on demand and its on the freezone. I don't know if you have that. I sometimes ask my kids what they wanna do and if we can do it then we will if we can't I ask them to pick different activities, We've even drawn on there drawers. Like I drew a sock on there sock drawer and they painted it, same with shirts and pants, and pj's and they loved it.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 1:28 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I like the library idea. also if all else fails again needing transport go to something like burger king or mcdonalds with a play place - without a ball pit - they offer healthy snacks so u can buy something like apple fries or a thing of milk and cut them loose. they will run out their energy - they wont have to be quiet (my favorite for my very loud 2 year old lol) and you can sit and relax. otherwise really look around for other places with a play area..
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 1:30 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• In our town, we have a kid-friendly film series where all the local movie theatres show free movies (like "Ice Age II", "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs", "Alvin & Chipmunks" etc.) during the day (like 10am).
    dinaca81

Answer by dinaca81 at 1:34 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• on rainy days i like to make and do with my son. i collect household thinds like toilet roll inserts, empty yoghurt cartons,empty washing up liquid bottlesetc:and let him make whatever he wants-mostly space ships but he is only 3 and 1/2
    shell394

Answer by shell394 at 10:35 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Get a carboard box (make sure the bottom is sealed) and get some sand. Make sure they play with it on a table that has a floor you can sweep. But a small makeshift indoor sandbox is always fun!

We've gotten some shaving cream and some food dye, put some newspapers down on the table and let them go nuts. My son got his hot wheel cars and played 'crash' in the shaving cream. It all washes off, so it's not too much of a mess - but my kids would sit for at least an hour and play in it.

I know you said you don't want to sit outside - but some activities that you could do while out there are bubbles, sandbox (without you having to clean it up), get some squirt bottles and let them squirt each other, and the sprinkler is always good.

If you have access to a car, I would look at your local library for their story times. Barnes and Noble has things too sometimes.
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 7:43 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• get a giant box (call wal-mart, best buy, or target). Maybe get 3 or 4 boxes. Put out some markers, child safe scissors, construction paper and glue sticks. Throw in a couple of 'dress up' clothes (even oversized parent clothes, hats, and shoes will work).
    Sit back and enjoy the creativity to flow. I did this with my brother and sister a lot when we were young. Although I don't remember a lot of what I received for christmas and birthdays, I remember making rocket ships, forts, ships and all other kinds of things with boxes, simple art supplies and my imagination. Good luck on the last few weeks of pregnancy:)
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:19 PM on Jul. 13, 2010