Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My daughter wants to spell her name diffrently then it's really spelled what do I do?

My daughters name is Alina and shes 5. She's been writting her name but recently she's been writting it Alyna. For some reason she really likes the Y in her name. I've told her that her name is spelled ALINA but she says she doesn't like it. Shes starting school next month and legally her name is spelled Alina. What do I do and/or say to her to get her to like her name and or just spell it they way we have been for the last 5 years and the way we gave it to her?! Has this happened to anyone?


Asked by babyangelromero at 1:46 AM on Jul. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 17 (4,048 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • My Goodness, you have a very headstrong and independent little girl. What a confident woman she will grow up to be. Let her have this one. Something tells me you will need to save your strength for other battles. Good luck and keep up the good work.

    Answer by FuzNet at 2:10 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

  • Let het do it,it's no biggie

    Answer by HeIsMyWorld2009 at 1:47 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

  • I'd leave the spelling legally but let her spell it how ever she wants, when she's older if she still wants to change it then let her.

    Answer by Blueliner at 1:49 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

  • my friend spelled her name Sin-D all thru highschool, to the joy of her parents, lol, I spell my middle name different, but when I got married I spelled it how it is on my Birth certificate, it's not a huge deal

    Answer by motha2daDuchess at 1:56 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

  • its phase...
    i think Y just seems to look more unique... my name is linda... but when i was little i would go back forth spelling lynda or linda just let her do her thing

    Answer by Rydersmommy616 at 2:02 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

  • really? ok...well then I guess its ok. I guess its not a big deal. I just didn't know what to do. I actually like it better but it's to late now.

    Comment by babyangelromero (original poster) at 2:25 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

  • Just leave her name the way it is legally and let her spell it how she wants to. Think of it as her 'nickname', lol. Like my brother's name is Charles, we all call him Chuck and he wrote Chuck as his name on his papers at school. Just make sure that she understands that LEGALLY her name is spelled the way it is spelled and has to be that way on her driver's license and marriage certificate when she's older.

    Answer by slw123 at 11:23 AM on Jul. 13, 2010