Any tips?

My dd isn't gaining any weight, she's gained 4 ounces in 2 months. She's 6 months old and on solids. She is breastfed. Any tips on getting her to gain weight? She's not really a fan of avocado and we have egg allergies in my family, are there any other healthy high calorie foods that she can have?

rhianna1708

Asked by rhianna1708 at 2:36 AM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• drop the solids and let her cluster nurse.

If you are unsure about cluster nursing...
    Let her nurse from one side for every feeding for 3or 4 times and then switch.
    The more hind milk she gets the faster she will gain weight.
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 2:40 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• She always nurses from both, her appetite hasn't been satisfied from one-sided nursing for quite some time. But I understand what you are saying about hind milk. I've been trying to get her to nurse longer and more often, which is going ok so far.
    rhianna1708

Comment by rhianna1708 (original poster) at 2:43 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• maybe gerber, like the super pureed kind. I had twins and they were both preemies, one of them passed away and when my surviving twin son was in the nicu and was able to start eating they recommended I breast feed and I would pump all the time. I had alot of milk but not enough calories. the yellowish milk. they ended up having to put him on neosure for calories when I brought him home I could never breastfeed I had to pump to add calories. Maybe you don't have enough calories in your breast milk maybe you can try eating foods with more calories to maybe get more calories in your breastmilk and then give your daughter gerber.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 2:44 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• have you tried a nurse-in? where you stay in bed with her for the day and let her snack/eat as much as she wants?
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 2:45 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• She gets the gerber purees, as well as mashed avocado and other plain veggies. Baby oatmeal too. She nurses on demand, so she nurses as often as she wants and we do stay home most days so I am able to catch her hunger cues pretty early on. My mom said give her juice, but that's just empty calories and sugar, I want her to get some nutrition too. And I am getting plenty of calories.
    rhianna1708

Comment by rhianna1708 (original poster) at 2:50 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• you could always try pumping a little off first, then nursing. also if you let her unlactch herself before the "switch" and let her unlatch off the second... offer the first one again, just to be sure to top off the tank.

Oh and ALWAYS nurse first then solids.
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 2:59 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Try making your own baby food. It won't be as watered down and will taste better. This might encourage her to eat more solids. Go to www.wholesomebabyfood.com for how to information.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:36 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• How often does she eat solids throughout the day & how much is she getting? Has she started crawling or even sitting up? Sometimes starting solids can slow weight gain, because there aren't as many calories or the right kinds of fat in the solids as there is in your milk. Also, becoming mobile will definitely slow weight gain. My advice would be to slow down solids & increase the nursing sessions.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 8:18 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• She is crawling and sitting herself up. She is always moving! And it sounds like I am already doing a lot of what you have said here but there are a couple things there that sound like they would be helpful. Thanks, ladies!
    rhianna1708

Comment by rhianna1708 (original poster) at 1:18 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• "Let her nurse from one side for every feeding for 3or 4 times and then switch.
    The more hind milk she gets the faster she will gain weight. " This is NOT true. Baby gains by total volume of milk, not from more hindmilk. Nursing form only one side, and/or same side for multiple feedings will DECREASE the amount of milk mom is producing. When weight gain is low, instead, baby should be nursing from BOTH breasts TWICE at each feeding. This, along with more frequent feedings and breast compression can really increase weight gain.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:03 PM on Jul. 13, 2010