Do you baby talk your kids?

I try not to. Just because they're young and small doesn't mean they're stupid. I don't like to degrade their intelligence by talking to them like they're stupid, and honestly I hate it when other people talk to them like that as well. How do you tell people not to use baby talk with your children?

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 4:13 AM on Jul. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• i agree with you 100%. could not have said it better
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 4:15 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Yeah my mom does it all the time and my three year old is picking up on it and it drives my husband and I crazy. Because we don't want her to talk like freakin Elmo, we want her to talk like a human being.
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 4:17 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• We never baby talked to our son. We spoke to him like we would any other human being. Just because he was young and growing up, didn't mean he was stupid or didn't have the ability to learn..

I personally think that children that are spoken to "normally" (for lack of a better word) develop better vocabularies, conversation skills and undestanding of the spoken word.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:21 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• "I personally think that children that are spoken to "normally" (for lack of a better word) develop better vocabularies, conversation skills and undestanding of the spoken word. "

I agree with this 100%. My son started talking in sentences when he was 2, and not in a way that only dh and I could understand, he spoke very clear. He is 4 now and his dr says he speaks like he is 6 years old. We have never baby talked to him, nor do I baby talk to other children.

I would just make a light comment to whomever is speaking to your child in baby talk. Just let them know straight up that children repeat what they hear, and if they hear goo goo ga ga, that is what they are going to repeat.
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 4:37 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I didn't realize that goo goo ga ga meant baby talk LOL I thought talking in a high pitched voice all kid like was baby talk. I guess I don't baby talk ever then. :) I thought I did.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 4:42 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• lol I didn't literally mean saying goo goo ga ga. I personally would consider talking high pitched and child like as baby talk. I speak to my child like I would speak to anyone else. In turn I believe he has learned to talk earlier and has learned proper pronunciation. But that's just how my husband and I choose to do things, to each their own :)
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 5:35 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I speak to my daughter the same i do to my husband, when she says little noises i will repeat them to encourage her to continue, but otherwise completely normal, we do not even call her blanket and blankey or her vagina a wee wee its all called by the correct name
    Laura_Cruz

Answer by Laura_Cruz at 8:16 AM on Jul. 13, 2010