He's addicted to heroin! what am I supposed to do?

long story short. A long time love has recently contacted me, & he is in need of help. We broke up long ago because I was young and had to move away with my parents, it really broke both of our hearts.We both moved on, but he went down a really bad path when I left. We have remained friends, but almost kind of secretly because both our partners don't like us talking to each other. Which is understandable, he and I just connect in a way that I can't explain. We still love each other but it is more of a best friend love now. Anyways, I haven't talked to him in a long time, but he contacts me & tells me he is addicted to heroin really bad, and is just really caught up in a bad life style He really needs support, but no one he knows has their head on straight. I really want to help him get on track, but I feel like I'm betraying DH by trying to help him through things. dh would not approve, but he needs help. what do I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:28 AM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• well unfortinatly theres not much you can do. someone who is addicted to any drug cannot be helped if they are not ready to be helped. if he wants to get help there are places (rehab clinics) who will help him in ways you would not know how. being there for him is really all you can do beleve in him and make sure he knows that you beleve in him, try writing letters to him while he is getting better or texting him if thats easyer but thats really all you can do. its up to him to sort himself out. sorry if this has not helped.
    kirsten21

Answer by kirsten21 at 4:35 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• If this man wants to go to rehab then support him in going but having contact with him is nothing but bad news. Herion addicts are no good people to be around no matter if they really want to be clean. Herion is body controling. Wanting and getting clean are two different things when your addicted to herion. I was addicted to herion for 7 years and i wanted to get back on the right road in life from the time i was a year into it. It took me 6 years to get there. Trust me I hit bottom long before i got clean. He needs to call the rehab and detox then go to rehab for a while and learn how to live his life and learn who he is cause his day is all about getting his next well bag he is beyond getting high anymore he is just staying well. Getting sick off herion is like the worst stomach flu food poisining you could ever have and he could die from it.
    I am 4 years clean and I have everything i always dreamed. GL to him. be safe.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 4:42 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Thank you for responding.I realize that no one can really tell me what to do,I just feel kind of lost in the situation. I understand he has to really want to quit in order to do so.I just can't help but to feel some what responsible for the path he went down,I was his rock when we were together,the only thing good he really had going on.I realize Im really not responsible for his actions, he's a grown man and has the capability to make his own decisions. I just feel some what guilty trying to be there for him behind dh's back.I do not have personal contact with him, as we still live in different states. But he reached out to me to try to help rebuild himself, right? When I talked to him last night he was really sick, I felt so bad for him yet I was disgusted because he was scraping baggies for residue, I didn't really understand how withdraw could really make someone SO sick.He said he was contacting detox in the morning.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:26 AM on Jul. 13, 2010