Anxiety about the kids being sick...

Has anyone else felt this way? My almost 4 year old is coughing in her bed right now. She has a fever, too. All the kids have had "colds" for about 10 days. I feel nervous and unsettled. Can't sleep, worried the other two ( 2 years, and almost 2 months) will get it and/or it will turn out to be Whooping Cough (there is no whoop, so far). I feel really jittery and nauseated. Am I having some weird post-partum anxiety?

Hazelnutkin

Asked by Hazelnutkin at 4:37 AM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Health

• First let me say this.

I'm sure that most everyone of us has suffered through stress and anxiety when our child(ren) are sick. No matter how minor or severe the illness.

As far as worrying about the others catching it. Or the illness turning into something more severe. That's wasted energey really. And you need all the energy you can must when you have sick children. As long as you are doing your best to keep it from spreading, that's all you can do in regards to preventing the others from getting sick. So if you are doing all you can, don't worry about that aspect. As far as it turning into Whooping Cough, there is nothing you can really do to prevent that. If it's going to happen, it's going to happen. If not, then not.

I know what I have said is cold comfort when you have sick children. But remember this. Sick children need a healthy level headed mom. So, extra stress & worry can affect you .

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:51 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Oh yes, I've been there.  It gets better as they get older and are better at articulating how they feel.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:32 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• My daughter is almost 2 and I don't worry about her getting sick as much as I did when she was a newborn and under a year. Now I see no point in worrying because if she's going to get sick, she's going to get sick. I can't stop it. All I can do is be there to take her to the doctor when she needs to go and comfort her until she gets better. Letting your kids see yo upset and stressed out over them being sick isn't going to help them get better any faster. And you being stressed out over all of it could lead to you getting sick! You just need to calm down and not worry so much. I know it's a lot easier said than done though. I hope your kids get to feeling better soon! And you too! :)
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 11:30 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I just posted this journal.  http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read.php?post_id=1609672&pop_voted=1

It is something my mother sent me, it's about motherhood and worrying about our kids.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:34 PM on Jul. 13, 2010