OMG my baby has been latching on wrong all this time!!

My baby will be 1 month this week and I've been exclusively breastfeeding but I notice since reading up on techniques of latching that we have been doing it wrong. I've read a few lists from a few sites. I hear that 'clicking' sound that I'm not supposed to. I pull her head into my breasts instead of her body. Her chin doesn't touch my breasts like it should and I constantly have to hold my breast away from her nose. One website says not to use the 'scissor hold' when holding my breast and thats exactly how I hold it. I do notice pain when I nurse and after she lets go but I just thought it was the normal pain of the 1st few weeks of bfing. What can I do now? What if she doesnt take well to proper latching b/c she has been doing it her way for so long? Dont misread me, I do want to practice proper latching to ease the pain, I just am not sure how. Is there a way to wean her from the wrong latch to the right one?

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 4:47 AM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son had latch issues for a long time... he was 6 weeks before we got it fixed.
    You know what you are doing wrong, I think it will be easy to fix and more comfortable for the both of you.
    I found this picture to be the most helpful in getting a correct latch...
    http://www.llli.org/images/LVFebMar04lv-latch-11.jpg
    If your nipple is pointing at her nose when she latches it's probably a nice latch. Look up asymmetrical latch... it's what you want.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:11 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Have you tried holding your boob in a c-shape with your hand instead of the scissor hold?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:20 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Good thing is, I know she is eating enough because she gives the 6-8 wet and dirty diapers a day and is growing. Her 1 month doc appointment is this week too so I'll find out her weight, but I know she is gaining because she is heavier. So I'm not worried about her getting enough, I just want it to be more comfortable for the both of us.
    keisha613

Comment by keisha613 (original poster) at 4:52 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Um, why is it the wrong way if you're not feeling pain and she's getting milk? Sounds like the right way to me... the only reason they give those specific methods is if the baby isn't getting milk or you are having pain. Other then that, no worries. My breasts are really large (specially after my milk came in) and I always had to hold it away from her nose and be in weird positions to breastfeed... doesn't matter if she's gaining weight.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 5:40 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Yeah my daughter made the clicking sound and I had to hold my breast away from her nose quite often and she nursed for 35 monhts just fine. After the first month or so the pain subsided. If you really want to correct her latch then find a local La Leche League and get some help in person doing it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:28 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Try laying back with baby on your chest and doing Baby-led attachment it is a great way to get baby on correct and chin first.

Keep in mind that if baby is getting enough ilk and mom is not in pain then the latch is good, no mtter how it "looks". Since you are having pain then you defintely want to make some changes, but don't worry if you find a way that works well but doesn't look perfect.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:59 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• You can call ur local hospital, ask for the mother & baby floor then ask the nurse for a contact # for a breastfeeding consultant. You can also look online on the LaLeche League website and they should have some great tips and contacts for u also. Good Luck!
    JKBsMommy

Answer by JKBsMommy at 12:21 PM on Jul. 14, 2010