17 year old step-daughter possibly a sex addict?

I found out my 17 yo step-daughter has been talking to a 21 yo guy that she met on a teen chat room site. I saw some of her messages from him and they have been discussing " hooking up' when he moves out here for college seeing as he lives half way across the country. My step-daughter has been hooking up with another guy that lives near us and still has a bf that she has been with for 3 years. I have seen her interact with other guys and is a huge flirt from what i can see and wouldnt put it pass her to hook up with them too. I also found a to do list in her room that was all about guys she wanted to hook up with or places she wants to hook up. I knew early on she was having sex and is on birth control but is my step-daughter out of control or on the virge of becoming a sex addict.

jonesy21

Asked by jonesy21 at 5:14 AM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Sex addict? Doubtful.

Desperately trying to fill some need within herself.. Most likely.

In most cases, when young girls are behaving in this manner, its' because they are seeking something. Something they feel they are not getting from others in their lives, or something that is lacking within themselves. Sex and attention through sex, seems to be an easy way to feel needs. However, when we are young, we don't always realise or understand the consequences that can go along with trying to feel a need in that manner.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:20 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Sadly, this is semi normal for teens these days. it's all about "hooking up". I wouldn't say she is a sex addict, nor that she will become one. It is just the sad truth that teens are more promiscuous now a days. We may not agree with what our children are doing, but at 17, all you can do is try your best to make sure she is being as safe as possible.
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 5:20 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Do you provide her with condoms? BC doesn't prevent against STD's. I would sit down and talk to her... this many partners may be taking an emotional toll on her self esteem. I would also put her in counseling, cuz it's a red flag for me that she's not dealing with her life responsibly.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 5:30 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Sex addicts have sex like 6-7 times a day.
    Either she's doing this for emotional reasons, or she is just a sexual person who wants to explore.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 7:16 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I completely agree with Pixie-Trix, I was very similar in ways with your daughter. A good book to read is Loose Girl by Kerry Cohen . It was me to the letter, it might be something worthwhile to read to understan hat your step-daughter maybe going through. I didn't learn until recently with therapy why I was the way I was. It is not uncommon for girls who act this way to feel a void that needs to be filled within themselves or from others. Low esteem or self-worth can and does cause a need to seek love and worth in others, ie: a man to love them, thinking being sexual is how to get this. Its also possible her relationship with her father is not good, causing her to seek worth or love in other men. Its also possible like some girls to seek out men similar to their fathers in order to prove someone like their father can love them, proving their father had issues, not them. I would lean towards this rather sex addict.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:47 PM on Jul. 13, 2010