Are you a SAHM or WM?

What are your opinions on both?

I'm a SAHM currently
have a temp job starting tomorrow which will end in 3 weeks
then back to SAHM
the Full-Time student 3classes on campus, 1 online

I think both have ups and both have downs. I feel like working my Temp job gives me, ME time, productive ME time. Same with school, plus I am working toward a psychology degree. And of course SAHM gives me the most time possible with my LO.

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 5:58 AM on Jul. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm a SAHM and housewife. There's no way I would have had a child if I couldn't stay home and raise him. I get that there are circumstances which necessitate working, divorce or death of a husband for example, but I couldn't imagine having a baby knowing that I was going to pay someone else to raise them for most of their waking hours. I know one woman who had a baby, hired a full time nanny to raise him, had an au pair through his early school years, and then sent him off to boarding school when he was old enough. What's the point in having a kid if you're never going to see him? She'd be as well hiring a child actor to trot out at thanksgiving for all the time she spends with him.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 10:45 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I am both. I am a SAHM during the Summer but work during the school year. Ya, where in the world did the term 'housewife' come from. We aren't married to our 'house'. Was it meant to be a 'funny' term years back or something?
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 6:18 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I am a working mother. I had the opportunity to be a SAHM years ago when my 11 year old was young, but then I got a divorce and had to find a full time job. I am now remarried, but circumstances do not allow me to go back to being a SAHM. I do not look at working mothers or at SAHM's any differently. They are just women doing what they want, or in some cases, need to do.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:31 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Neither ..

I've been told (on CM of course.. LOL) that I am a "Housewife" .. My only child is 18 and leaving for college soon. LOL

I became a SAHM 8 years ago though.. Before that, I was a working mom.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:00 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Both..I work from home and stay at home so does my boyfriend.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:06 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• SAHM. I'm also a student and volunteer at two hospitals.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:28 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I have a home based business. Sometimes I work at home, sometimes I work in client's offices, sometimes I work at Starbuck's

Answer by rkoloms at 6:31 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I am both...I'm a teacher, so I work when my children are in school and I'm home when they are! I was a SAHM exclusively for 8 years until my younger son began full-day Kindergarten--which was last fall, then I went back--which I had prepared to do in the 2 years before my children were in full-day school (preschool). :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:40 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I am a working mom for most of the year. I get my weekends off, fall break off (1 week), winter break off (2 weeks) and spring break off (1 week). I work summer school but that is only 20 days this summer. So I get a lot of time off in the summer as well.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 6:56 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I do the exact thing you do except all of my classes are online. I'm SAHM and I occassionally take part-time temp jobs. I like being able to get a little break from the house sometimes. I pretty much have to do the same stuff as far as cooking and cleaning and with the kids but it's a little break from the routine. It feels good to be productive in that way. I love staying home and everything, but this way you get the best of both worlds. They like going to Grammy's anyway, & they get really excited when mommy goes to work. It's cute. They ask all kinds of questions about my day.
    ZombieHousewife

Answer by ZombieHousewife at 7:11 AM on Jul. 13, 2010