Is it too much to ask to have a 3 year old keep up with his own shoes? He takes them off and loses them constantly and I'm at my wits end.

I think he should be able to keep up with his own shoes by now.

ZombieHousewife

Asked by ZombieHousewife at 7:06 AM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• a 3 yr. old? i don't know i would think maybe 5 IMO
    pmg1030

Answer by pmg1030 at 7:08 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I'm right there with ya. Ds is getting better though, slowly but surely. He got better with it when I put a small shoe rack in his room and a basket for shoes by the front door. When I see that he left his shoes somewhere, I tell him to go put his shoes where they belong, he then either puts them by the door or in his room. He just recently started actually taking his shoes off by the basket at the front door and leaving them by the basket with out prompting, next step is making it INTO the basket lol
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 7:13 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Yesterday he lost his shoes at Grammy's. His 2 year old brother puts his shoes by the door consistantly and keeps up with them. When it came time to leave he was sobbing because he couldn't find his shoes. While everyone was loading up in the car I ran back in to look for them again. They were behind the bathroom door...it's just a little aggrivating. I tell him constantly to put his shoes in the same place so he's not losing them. I guess it's not right to compare but I think if his little brother can do it he can too.
    ZombieHousewife

Comment by ZombieHousewife (original poster) at 7:16 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• That's a good idea Gavin's. We have a spot for shoes at home close to the door. The problem is when we leave and go anywhere.
    ZombieHousewife

Comment by ZombieHousewife (original poster) at 7:18 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Maybe try when you first get somewhere, telling him that if he feels the need to take his shoes off to make sure he puts them in a designated spot or brings them to you or something. He is at an age where he is more likely to remember what you told him to do rather than come up on the right answer on his own. good luck :)
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 7:24 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I'm going to glue them to his feet.
    ZombieHousewife

Comment by ZombieHousewife (original poster) at 7:27 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I would make him keep his shoes on. That could drive somebody insane.
    Honda309

Answer by Honda309 at 7:28 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I think that's asking a lot of a 3 year old.
    mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 7:47 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• If it were me, I would tell him as we were going in wherever we were going, he either needed to leave his shoes on his feet, or bring them to me if he took them off. I think it is expecting a little much to expect him to keep up with them on his own, after all at three their attention spans are still short, but I don't think it would be asking to much to have him bring them to you.
    Or, if you know he is going to take off his shoes (like at Grandma's) go ahead and take them off when you go in, and put them where you want them. Gives you two bonuses, you get to look like the "nice mommy" to him by letting him take off his shoes, and you are able to find them later!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 8:11 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I believe 3 is the perfect age for him to be responsible for his own stuff.  We have cubbies by our front door (a shoe rack thing with lots of little boxes for shoes) and the kids are required to stick their shoes in there when they come it as long as they aren't wet or dirty.  Even my youngest who is 4 (and has been doing it since she was 2).  They don't always remember but then they have to go around the house and find all the shoes and make sure every one has a match before they can do anything else.

My 4yo is about to do this because I know she has a pair of sneakers in her room from last week and one of her flip-flops is missing.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:18 AM on Jul. 13, 2010